Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to see a grown basset's features while they're a puppy.

Look at these two.

The basset on the right has more skin overall, especially on the chest and cheeks. Can this(or these traits) be seen when they are young?

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Is it possible to see a grown basset's features while they're a puppy.

Look at these two.

The basset on the right has more skin overall, especially on the chest and cheeks. Can this(or these traits) be seen when they are young?[/b]

The difference you describe is sex related, male vs female in this case. The older the puppy the more likely the traits it exhibts will hold onto adulthood. One reason show breeds tend to hold onto pups longer.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the basset on the right is a male?

Is there any problem in having two males or is it better to have one of each? The personalities are different right?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I think it depends on the individual....Ruby looks exactly the same colorwise and so on except the smudge on her head used to be wider when she was a puppy. She was a very baggy basset and still is. She didn't have any freckles on her and didn't have any black freckles on the tip of her tail like she does now. She had something soooo cute tho. When she was real young, the tip of her tail curled up like a corkscrew. As she got older it got straight and the black freckles came to her tail.

But I've seen other bassets who were light brown at birth become darker color later on and so on.

Janice

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The difference you describe is sex related, male vs female in this case.[/b]
I don't know about this. Look at maggie's mommy's beautiful hounds. The female looks like it has bigger cheeks and more skin.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Well, here are several pictures showing my hounds close up. Here's Rusty. He has TONS of extra skin, definitely more than Stickers!

Here is a close up of Stickers and Rusty's face! What do you think??

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought your male was the tri color. Now it makes sense.

Did you pick them out of a litter? Did stickers have the jowls, long ears, and extra skin as a puppy?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
A puppy's appearance is a very good predictor of how it will look as an adult. Well-bred puppies have long ears, big feet, good bone, and lots of skin and wrinkles, etc. Poorly-bred puppies have tight skin with few wrinkles, light bone, shorter ears, poor lip and snipey muzzles, etc. You'll almost never find both types in the same litter, because litters reflect the practices of the breeder. Bottom line, someone who wants a basset that's nice looking should seek out a show breeder.

On the other hand, if someone is willing to take a chance because they want "just a pet", there are plenty of lovely and deserving pets waiting for homes in shelters and rescues. :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
From pictures I've seen of Rusty & Stickes they had big feet, lots of skin and wrinkles. They looked very much the same as now but little puppies. Yes, Rusty's feet were huge then too!!! I've only owned them for one year. They were one when I got them. The breeder owned them along with other family members. She actually showed Rusty several times in the puppy class. She had no intention of giving them up until we met. After many phone conversations and meeting me and my Husband did she decide to let us take them. It turns out she knows some of the Basset people I know and they gave us a good recommendation!That was one of the best days of my life! :D :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What does everyone think about having two male bassets instead of a male/female?

·
Registered
511 Posts
What does everyone think about having two male bassets instead of a male/female?[/b]

I have two males that get along great. Rarely do they really get into it. I've never had to break up a fight, but once in a while I have had to stop a bark fight.

·
Registered
316 Posts
What does everyone think about having two male bassets instead of a male/female?[/b]
I don't think you would have a problem with 2 well bred, neutered males in the same house. Mostly depends on the individual dog and the temperament of the individuals.

I have 2 females that have no problems, and they are usually worse. The basset males are usually a bit more loving, and as my breeder likes to say 'big and dumb.'

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't know about this. Look at maggie's mommy's beautiful hounds. The female looks like it has bigger cheeks and more skin.[/b]

Rusty and Stickers.........cute names! I love those dogs, they are so cute. Can't wait to meet my boy, as i said he is 1.5 years.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The first thing I said when I saw Mr. Runcible was: "What a beautiful hound. He's perfect!"
I believed that he would be a large, deep chested, round rumped, long eared, large pawed,
loose skinned, wrinkly and slobbering kind of dog.

It is possible to see what type of basset a pup will be, but if it will be a great show dog is
more difficult to determine.

Here is the evolution of Mr. Runcible. I think he looked like himself at all ages :p

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Perfect response Kaira, thanks. Do the long jowls make for more drooling?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Oh my goodness this Mr. Runcible is soooo beautiful too. I love him. How old is he? I know i should know this if i just research the site a bit more, but i just became a member yesterday.. The Basset we are getting has the same markings. My husband was concerned that he didn't have enough of the brown/red in him....But judging from your guy, we will be super pleased. What a beauty that Mr. Runcible is!!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
It is possible to see what type of basset a pup will be, but if it will be a great show dog is
more difficult to determine.[/b]
This is very true of bassets. You can tell by the parents what type of dog you are going to get. And a responsible breeder will is sure to take all the guess work out of it for you. Bassets are very difficult to tell show quality from one to another until later in the development cycle, moreso than most breeds. But when you get your basset from a responsible breeder there is no worries about going to the breeder to get your pick of the litter. They are ALL picks of the litter as far as pets go!!!

But if you want then and now comparisons here's Venus then and now..... I think I need to take some new pics this weekend! Venus has Rusty whiskers!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Perfect response Kaira, thanks. Do the long jowls make for more drooling?[/b]
The heavy muzzle of the basset can make buckets of drool or a basset can have a "Dry Mouth" that doesn't make near as much. The standard for the basset hound covers the way a basset SHOULD look. There should not be that much difference between male and female , weight can range anywhere from 55 to 70lbs for a male and 55 to 65 lbs for a female , except for their reproductive parts you shouldn't be able to tell them apart . Some Breeder's lines may have males with a shorter muzzle but their dogs should not be so extream as to give the basset a different look. The linage or pedigree can tell you a lot about how a puppy will look as it grows. Between 6 and 8 weeks old most people do not have a trained eye to tell if the ears are too short or the legs too long or if the feet are turned too far out. Between 8 and 12 weeks of age most good breeders can pick out potential show prospects because they know how their puppies grow, and between 12 and 16 weeks old most people should be able to tell the legs are too long and the ears too short. With bad breeders selling their puppies younger and younger you cannot tell if these pups will look like basset or beagle,again because it takes a trained eye to pick up the slight differences at a really young age. It takes time to know what to look for but look at the standard on the BHCA website and you will know what it is suppose to have to make it look like a basset. This is alot to know. :blink:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts