Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This is my first post and I'm happy to meet you. I've been lurking for a couple of months and everyone seems very helpful and nice.

Our baby, Charger, is 4 months old tomorrow and we love him to death. Unfortunately, he's recently gotten the habit of tearing out the iceplant in our yard. Our big concern is that a) it may not be healthly for Charger and B) the hill may come down!

How can we stop him other than catching him every time?

·
Registered
144 Posts
trailing rosemary? I would think that ice plant is okay to eat, but I would suggest talking to your nursery person about maybe something else. I know that some folks are using flower carpet roses as ground covers. For one part of my parents property, they are using that stinky jasmine and honeysuckle.

I take it you are in SD? I think my parents used a mix of ice plant, trailing rosemary and other larger plants for their easement.

Maybe Rubydoo can chime in!

lala and ernest the puppy

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
There is a product called "Bitter Apple" that you spray on things to keep dogs from chewing them. I don't know if it would work on live plants or hurt live plants.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Try staking a large sheet of the fine black mesh used to protect strawberry plants over the area.

After trying dog poop, pepper spray and a couple of other things to protect my bushes and flowers from rabbits, I've found that this actually works- the rabbits and even squirrels won't go near it. I bet your dog won't either.

It's nearly invisible, and it's really cheap too- about $4.00 for a couple of hundred feet long x 50 feet wide. I get it at the hardware store in the gardening section.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Are you in San Diego? Which part?

You might want to fence off the area where you don't want your baby to roam in. When we put up a fence a few months ago, Ruby's daddy and I just about killed ourselves digging up all of the iceplant that was in the way. It's too high up for Ruby to get to, plus she wouldn't bother with it even if it was low.

I don't know if it's poisonous tho.

Janice and little Ruby in Fletcher Hills area of El Cajon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you in San Diego? Which part?

You might want to fence off the area where you don't want your baby to roam in. When we put up a fence a few months ago, Ruby's daddy and I just about killed ourselves digging up all of the iceplant that was in the way. It's too high up for Ruby to get to, plus she wouldn't bother with it even if it was low.

I don't know if it's poisonous tho.

Janice and little Ruby in Fletcher Hills area of El Cajon[/b]
Thanks all for the great ideas! Sorry, it took so long for me to respond, but the last two evenings have been taken up wiht Charger's activities (puppy class and 4 month shots).

Yes, we're in the San Diego area (Oceanside to be specific). Guess, his name gave us away :rolleyes: .

Does Ruby go the the San Diego Basset Hound meetup? We're going to try to make the April one.

·
Registered
284 Posts
What I do is put a little fence around my flowerbeds and that works for me. I have no idea how big the plant you are talking about is but my fences are about a foot high. Easy and cheap solution (I actually stole the idea from a neighbour LOL!

Louise

1 - 7 of 7 Posts