All types of Ice Melt(calcium chloride and sodium chloride) can be very irritating to paws if not washed off very soon. It tastes salty and some animals like to lick it off their paws but it can cause gastric irritation and if ingested enough electrolyte imbalances and cardiac trouble. I won't use it because it's not super great for the environment (there are worse things but the run-off from melting goes into groundwater) You have to weigh the risks and benefits. Let's face it, if you have 85 year old Grandma using the walkways and driveways you really have to think about creating a fall risk-free environment, your dog's feet vs. Grandmas's hips.
I always clean Francis's feet when he's been walking on it. My neighbor smears Vaseline on her dog's feet but the time I did I had grease smears all over the place. Normal solutions have never worked for us :roll:
[ January 23, 2006, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Beverly Anne Cawley ]