Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a post circulating on a couple of other lists I'm on about the risks of giving your dog ice or ice water in the summer. The writer says it causes stomach contractions and bloat can result. I give my dogs ice cubes when they are exercising in the summer all the time, as well as ice water. And, we just got a nifty present--a big plastic tub with a stand I can fill with water and freeze, and then put outside on a metal post (sort of a doggie popsicle) in the summer. So, I'm wondering--is this true--cold water or ice can cause bloat, or is it an urban legend?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
First off clever title, it caused me to sing "Ice Ice Baby." :lol: Second, I give Lily ice all the time (Gibbs doesn't care for it).

~Heather

·
Registered
773 Posts
Never heard this before, and as far as I know, there's no clear evidence anywhere relating to the cause of bloat, though stress is probably a factor.

Our three get ice cubes as treats, and they wouldn't be happier with liver!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never heard this before, and as far as I know, there's no clear evidence anywhere relating to the cause of bloat, though stress is probably a factor.

Our three get ice cubes as treats, and they wouldn't be happier with liver![/b]
Interesting you say stress is a factor. I think the story comes from dogs who were at a dog show (very stressful for many dogs) and whose owner gave them ice cubes or ice water to cool them down. It could have been the stress of the show that set if off, rather than the ice, but I do recall somewhere in that post the poster's veterinarian blamed the ice/ice water.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I can't find the original post, but the vet said that the ice/ice water hitting the stomach muscles caused contractions like you'd get if you jumped into cold water.

I don't think it is all that common, but the poster did want people to be aware that it could happen.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I've always given Sadie & Spencer ice in their water in the summer. In fact, if I put down water without ice, Spencer looks at me like "Aren't you forgetting something??" He'd be very unhappy without his ice, especially now, as we are setting record high temps in Cincy!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Sharon,

I have never heard that ice water increases the incidence of bloat. The only two factors that haven't seemed to change over the years are stress and having a first degree relative bloat.

Anybody seen any new research on bloat?

Barb

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I have read the Ice Water post as well and I believe what was happening is that the dog had been showing on a moderately hot day and therefore his internal temp was up. Not enough to induce heatstroke ,the owner was careful. But when the dog was put in his crate to rest is when he was given ice water and the fact that his core temp was still elevated was the reason he began to bloat. At least that is what I got from it.I am not a Vet but it does make a little more sense that way. I give my dogs ice water here at home all the time but because they are not doing a major activities, their muscles are not working hard and they are pretty much at rest I am not concerned. I will be careful when I start showing Esa and not put ice in the water.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been giving ice cubes and ice water to my dogs for years. Speedy (ATB) did bloat twice but I don't believe the ice water had anything to do with it. The second time I'm sure was from the stress his body was going through with the intestinal lymphoma. I do think stress is a factor. As he aged he became such a "nervous nellie". Everything seemed to bother him. I haven't seen any new findings out on bloat. One thing that was interesting in the last AKC Gazette was the list of the top 10 dogs prone to bloat and the Basset wasn't on the list. That surprised me.

·
Registered
773 Posts
One thing that was interesting in the last AKC Gazette was the list of the top 10 dogs prone to bloat and the Basset wasn't on the list. That surprised me.[/b]
I noticed that, too, and it surprised me as well. I wonder how/where the stats upon which they based their list came from....

·
Registered
85 Posts
I read about this on another forum. The idea made sense to me about the cold contracting the muscles in the stomach to spasm especially in a dog that is already over heated. I have given my dogs ice cubes and I know alot of other people do that too. I know when its really hot out my Scarlet can't do the ice cubes, she will throw up right after it and i wonder if that is related to the muscle spasm thing.

CTG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts