Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My 10 to 12 year old girl became ill with vomiting and fever. When she wouldn't eat chicken I brought her in. They did a check up with blood work and there was nothing alarming. The next day she became ill again and I brought her back to the vet and they put her on iv, did a urine test and an ultrasound. The ultrasound report said there was thickening of her small intestine. There is a possibility it is something small like IBS or other gastro problem or it could be a type of cancer.

The decision I'm struggling with is the vet recommended doing an exploratory surgery of her abdomen just to make a diagnosis. This would mean a pretty major surgery just to find out what is happening with her small intestine. I got her back last night and she has been sleeping this whole time. She hasn't eaten still but has drank a little water. Obviously this has been excruciating.

I'm struggling with making the decision to put her through this surgery just to diagnose the problem. The vet said she believes she would handle the surgery ok but I have my doubts because she is so lethargic right now. I'm seeing another vet at a different hospital that does these types of surgeries today for a consultation. I'm really struggling with this one because if I did decide to put her though it just to find out its some type of cancer, I don't know if I would be willing to put a (possibly) 12 year old through that. Hope this makes sense. Any feedback would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Hello,

My 10 to 12 year old girl became ill with vomiting and fever. When she wouldn't eat chicken I brought her in. They did a check up with blood work and there was nothing alarming. The next day she became ill again and I brought her back to the vet and they put her on iv, did a urine test and an ultrasound. The ultrasound report said there was thickening of her small intestine. There is a possibility it is something small like IBS or other gastro problem or it could be a type of cancer.



The decision I'm struggling with is the vet recommended doing an exploratory surgery of her abdomen just to make a diagnosis. This would mean a pretty major surgery just to find out what is happening with her small intestine. I got her back last night and she has been sleeping this whole time. She hasn't eaten still but has drank a little water. Obviously this has been excruciating.



I'm struggling with making the decision to put her through this surgery just to diagnose the problem. The vet said she believes she would handle the surgery ok but I have my doubts because she is so lethargic right now. I'm seeing another vet at a different hospital that does these types of surgeries today for a consultation. I'm really struggling with this one because if I did decide to put her though it just to find out its some type of cancer, I don't know if I would be willing to put a (possibly) 12 year old through that. Hope this makes sense. Any feedback would be appreciated.


I went through an ordeal similar to yours. Mine passed away in August while we were waiting on blood tests. Autopsy revealed internal hemorrhaging, likely from one of the intestinal tumours they also discovered.

I too didn’t want her to suffer.

I regret not having the knowledge at the time to pre-empt the ordeal and put her to sleep. I struggle with whether she suffered. At least she passed away at home with me at her side.

If her condition worsens in any way, don’t delay. Push for the vets to get the answers you need.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,480 Posts
So sorry you are going through this. I did similar with my beloved Morgan (avatar) who 6 months before had not really wanted to eat up as normal. I struggled with her but at the end, she really deteriorated and rather than do any exploratory surgery, we gave her peace.



Before you do anything (did the bloods show anything?) I'd get a second opinion, if with a specialist, so much the better. I'm fairly sure Morgan had some form of cancer. That final evening/night she had blood diarrhoea. Next morning she was up on the sofa and I knelt before her, looking into her eyes which said 'help me'. She licked my nose and we took her to the vet where she was given peace.m She was 12 years, 7 months.



Although of course, it's totally for you to decide (and my thought would be so you find out what's going on .... what then?) personally I'd not put a bitch of that age through that kind of surgery/recovery.


I hope the specialist can give you the information you need to make this sad decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
My basset is 7.5. They found a mass on his small intestine as well but it was fully blocking everything. He couldnt even hold down water.

Ask for a CT scan. This can show much more than the ultrasound.

I opted for surgery and they successfully removed the mass. He is in recovery now but still hasnt eaten. I hope he makes it, but the doctor assured me if the surgery was succesful and he healed, he could get back to normal.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top