Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I planted too many sunflowers. I hope the dogs like to eat seeds.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
wow. impressive crop of sunflowers you have there! I always love your pictures... :)

I was just wondering if the seeds would be harmful to them. The outside is hard and sharp when chewed, would they cause damage when they pass through them? I'm sure others on here have a better idea than I do, that's just what occured to me.

Sandy

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sandy, my mom's old dog use to eat them. It was funny too, he would only eat the seed inside. You could see the shells fall from his mouth as he ate them. I don't know how he did it, but he could seperate the seeds/shells faster than I could.
He did the same with watermelon, the seeds would just fall out of his mouth.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
They say the same about old fishermen on our west coast,
they could put a piece of fish in the mouth, and bones and skin
came out of each corner of the mouth, while they were chewing effortless...

Nice pics, as always - btw! :lol:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Don't know exactly about sunflower seeds, but we were feeding thistle + other bird seed in our bird feeders. Bubba started eating the stuff the birds dropped seeds, hulls, etc. and threw up. Called the vet and she said to get rid of the feeders. That thistle seed has sharp points which can irritate the stomach and intestines. Sunflower seeds are sharp too, but I would check with a vet to be sure.

Aroooos from Bogie!!!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I grew bunch of sunflowers last years and I found bunch of the seeds on the yard scattered everywhere. I thought the hounds have been eating them....BUT nooooo....It was a rat!!! Yuck, disgusting.

But my love to that flower is bigger, so I keep planting them this year.
Beside I have 2 cats and the city life makes them bored, so this will give them some entertainment.
:)

·
Registered
932 Posts
My hubby has a bad habit of leaving the hulls lying around after eating seeds. I know that he's doing it when the dogs poop them out. :shock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts