Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
My Moe used to bite me (professional help and lots of clever training tricks took care of that), he took MONTHS to housetrain (I literally cried in despair some days), he destroyed everything within reach (training and Moe-proofing helped), he stole food, stuffies, homework, mail, and shoes (more Moe-proofing), he smelled bad (expensive shampoo search), he was a very picky eater (expensive food search, stern advice from forum members, and eventual adoption of companion dog cured him), he refused to sleep in his dogbed and opted for furniture (infection requiring an e-collar at seven years old FINALLY got him to sleep in HIS bed), and he whines to get what he wants... still. I have NEVER loved a dog or any pet as much as I love him. Perhaps the emotional energy and work involved in raising a Basset (a rescue one with many issues) are what makes the bond stronger? He has made me laugh when I wanted to cry and he has comforted me when no one else would, or could. He has amused me with his antics and amazed me with his cunning. He has forced me to pay attention to him, thus taking my mind of whatever bothers me... he prevents me from being selfish.

Now and again I wonder... if I had known the work involved in taking him, would I have done it? I'm very glad that I'll never know! He is my Moe!!

Taky your time in making a decision. It's good advice to spend some time with Bassets so you can judge for yourself. They are not for everyone. Only YOU can say if they are for you.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.