Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I contacted the local basset rescue in my area. I filled out an application, and after a couple of days went by and I hadn't heard from them, I realized that my situation is not ideal for a rescue at this time anyway and decided to get a puppy from a breeder. Not for the novelty of a puppy, but this is my first basset and I want the experience from puppydom to adulthood.

I admire and envy anyone who has, or will adopt a rescue basset. And I fully intend to do so when the time is right. HOWEVER....I just now received a call from this rescue organization. And the girl..woman...lady.. whatever seemed to be having a bad day from the moment she said "Hello.." I apologized and kindly informed her that I had already gone with a breeder. She paused and said "really..hmm" I said "yes, I'm sorry, did u have any puppies available at this time?" "Puppies?" she said, "you wanted a puppy?!" I said, "yes, I did indicate that on my application." Very attitudinal she said, "Well a puppy is a big responsibility ya know, and you have to stay home with it all day...its a baby!" I said, "yes, I'm aware of the responsibility." After apologizing again, I said "I saw your website and I admire what you guys do over there and fully intend on rescuing a basset from u in the future.." She paused for a second (I thought she hung up on me) and said .."ya know Amy, I'm really sorry to hear that, I'm really disapointed 'cause there's alot of bassets that need homes out there." And then (I think..it sounded like) she hung up on me.

She didn't even give me a chance to explain MY reasoning...although I dont think I owe that b*tch an explanation anyway.

The tone in her voice, was like I'm some evil troll and am insulting HER because I bought a puppy, and didn't adopt a basset. And like I just sent a basset to death row. I'm angry, and upset.

I thought I did the right thing...but now after this phone call, I feel really bad when I know there's so many bassets that need a home.

It's just that my situation isn't right for a rescue right now. I mean I'm only 23, I still live at home with mom, and we feel we're ready for a puppy because we've raised a dog from a pup before. I've done everything possible to get informed as much as I possibly can about bassets. (You all should know, especially after all the questions I've been posting) From talking to breeders, to talking to u fine people (experts in my opinion) my vet, books, magazines, internet, etc.

And, besides, our prior experience with rescuing from a pound a couple of years back was horrific!

So..my question to you is, does me buying from a breeder and not rescuing, make me a bad person or an irrisponsible owner?

Saddened, :(

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It would be wonderful if everyone in the world would take it upon themselves to adopt a homeless animal. But that is quite unrealistic, don't ya' think? In my opinion, you did your homework, you weighed your options and you made your decision based on the information you garnered, your particular requirements and situation. Don't secondquess yourself, Amy. You should be proud of yourself that you gave serious time, energy and thought to your process. Rescue folks have huge hearts and feel very strongly about their calling. I commend anyone and everyone for that. It is unfortunate however that you had such a conversation with a rescue representative as it could turn you (or someone such as yourself) off to the process in the future and deny a wonderful hound a forever home.

You are fine, Amy. Chalk this up to experience and go and enjoy your new baby! Don't let this in any way shape or form spoil your exciting homecoming.

Best of luck!
Lynne & Huck

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Enjoy your puppy! We've raised from puppyhood... and done rescue and fostered... and have a pound puppy at home. These things will come in your life when the time is right. We cannot do all... be all to every one. I would love to take every uncared for basset home with me. It's unrealistic however(we currently have 4 dogs)- I send money when I can to Rescues... and buy their t-shirts- That is another way we can support. Don't beat yourself up- Go with your heart-

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys! It means alot to hear that. I was really bummed out, ya know?

ALL YOU GUYS (& GALS..& HOUNDS) ROCK!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to worry. Enjoy your new puppy. :) Happy to be a slave for Tummy Boy.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I filled our an online application for our local rescue before getting Rusty & Stickers. 2 weeks went by before I got a response in form of an email. It said that several other people were interested in the dog I asked about. They were "backed up" and it would take a week or so to contact me. 2 week later, nothing so I emailed again and never a response. I decided that wasn't something we wanted after all. After getting the kids, I was introduced to someone at a party. She worked for the same rescue. She asked about the dogs I got. She also had a bad attitude and hinted that people should rescue not buy dogs. I told her that isn't for everyone and she should respect that. She then asked me how much I paid for my dogs!!!!!!! I told her that was between me and the breeder!!! Then I turned and walked away!!!!! I can understand your feeling. Rescue is wonderful but not for everyone. Freedom of choice.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some of these organizations do make it difficult. I had to practically harrass the one you are speaking about. I called and called. Sent emails, scoured the site for any number within the organization, to call and leave a message that my other attempts had gone unanswered. I finally got a nice person who told me that the adoption coordinator was on vacation. It said on their website that they were unable to take relinquishments at this time, due to volume ...or somthing like that. It struck me as odd that someone else couldn't at least answer phones while the coordinator was away. I would think that would be an easy volunteer spot to fill.

Someone did eventually call but their process is one that could easily drive a person away. I felt like I shouldn't judge so quickly ...but even now, there are still issues that are still troubling me. They do a good thing but they definitely need to get some things worked out. And perhaps listen to feedback and acknowledge it.

I love my little Dixie! She was so well cared for and obviously loved ...but I credit most of this to her foster, Marty. Once I moved on to the last phase of the adoption process, she took over and it was smooth from that point on.

Have a great time with that new puppy! I want to do that one of these days.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need to be applauded for the resaerch and thought you have given your choice. Some people are very hard line and I don't think they know how they come across. Hey isn't to day the BIG day? Enjoy that baby! yvonne

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Puppy buyers should take care that they're not buying from irresponsible breeders whose dogs end up in shelters and rescues. :(

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sabian's Mom---actually his Gotcha Day is this Friday, around 4:30pm. I can't wait!

Thanks everybody for your support :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm sorry that she was mean to you.I think it is great to reacue bassets...any pets.Alot of shelter dogs are set in their ways,and you never know what you are getting.I think it is a good idea that you got a puppy first.Now you can see what you are in for. :) Some people think that if you buy from a breeder,not from a rescue that you are a horrible person.I have dealt with these people before.I got my butt crawled because I want a few litters of pups off of my two.She acted like I was going to take over the world with Basset Hounds.

Don't worry about it.That mean lady needed to get her some basset sugar then she would have felt better. :)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hi Amy,

Sorry about your bad experience. Some times people who love dogs aren't very good with people, and rescue folks all too often get to see the bad stuff humans have done, and it can make them touchy. Don't take it personally. Enjoy your puppy.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, enjoy your puppy ...and share picture with all of us who can't do the puppy thing!!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Enjoy your new puppy! They are so sweet and can be so annoying....lol. Remember if they're weren't puppies out there the breed would die out. Although I do wish that all breeders would breed responsibly.

I have dealt with several rescues over the years for various reasons. Some are definitely better than others. One, that I won't name, set themselves up as gods. Very disappointing. When the time is right for a rescue I'm sure you'll find the right one.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes enjoy your puppy. Rescue is not for everyone I have my share of issues with Simon, but I had decided that was what I wanted to do. As long as you are a responsible owner, so what where you get your dog Enjoy him, and post pictures!!!

·
Registered
987 Posts
You have to do what is right for you and the dog/puppy. It is a shame there are so many rude people in the world. Their hearts might be in the right place but her mind clearly wasn't at the time she spoke to you.
You can only do your best and it sounds like you are doing that.
Best of luck raising your pup.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We got Ruby from a basset hound breeder. We applaud anyone who gets their bassets from rescue but it's not what we wanted.

I would take her attitude with a grain of salt. It's your decision to do whatever you want.

If you want a puppy, then it's the right decision. If you wanted a rescue, then it too is the right decision.

Whatever you decide that's right for you, then that decision is the correct one.

·
Registered
797 Posts
And these same rescue people keep crying about how many hounds they have in the rescue and the cost of boarding all of them --- you have to almost beg and then prove that you are good enough to deserve one of their bassets. Many do not seem to have a goal of finding a home for the hounds

[ March 01, 2006, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Dean ]

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Well, that's a little over the top. There's no point in placing with a dog in a home where it's just going to bounce back into rescue. I have no problem with rescues taking their time to make sure references check out and placements are going to work out. Rescue VOLUNTEERS have jobs, families and other commitments, and still manage to find time to help out hounds in desperate straits. Shame on those of you who are bashing them. :mad:

[ March 01, 2006, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just like any business/industry there are good people and bad people. You did what you thought is best for you. Don't let one individual spoil it forever. When/if you are ready to adopt then you can try the same rescue. If you run into the same rudeness then try another.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts