Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basset Poop!

I have not see that sneaky little gator in the lake for a few weeks. I have been dropping Bessi & Smili's poop in there. I was thinking...Hmm...Maybee I am on to something here...

So I am standing on the dranage pipe about to drop another load of doo-doo when I hear a big splash right underneath the pipe. I look down and that nasty little gator was starting to swim away (The gator girls were safe inside). He swam about 10' away and then turned to look at me...Kind of with those "You wouldn't dare" eyes. Yep I would and did. Dropped the scooper full of freshly baked Basset pie's right were he just moved from. He turned around and broke the gator speed record trying to get as far away from me as possible!!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
It is also great fertilizer. I grew some amazingly large veggies one year. The spaghetti squash and tomatoes were the size of footballs. I wasn't planning to use basset poo, but the dog had other ideas.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hahahaha toooo funny!

I think gators are beautiful creatures.. but I def. wouldn't want to come face-to-face with one!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I read somewhere dog doo should not be used as a fertilizer because of the parasites it could carry.I do not think it affects the food more like the person dealing with the ground. But then any person digging in any ground is exposed to parasites.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I read somewhere dog doo should not be used as a fertilizer because of the parasites it could carry.I do not think it affects the food more like the person dealing with the ground. But then any person digging in any ground is exposed to parasites.
That's what I tried to tell my hound at the time, but he hated anyone seeing him poop, and hiding in the garden protected his dignity.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
As much as I love your gator repellant idea, I'm afraid the folks are right. I use biodegradable poop bags I buy where I work (farm store), and then throw them right in the trash.

Hmmm... what else to use to deter the gator plus be environmentally friendly and legal? Well, I guess a stick o' dynamite is out. :D

Or, move here to Nebraska. We don't have gators. Just rabid Husker fans. :eek:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh well....no more poo in the lake.....Keep in mind that in south FL we do not really have lakes...It is more like a small pond, but I will keep the poopies in a bag in the garbage.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
but it is against the law as well :angry:
not necesarrily there is a hunting season for gator in florida and you do not need a Hunting License whether the body of water is legal to hunt is the question and you could apply for a county wide permet see Statewide Alligator Harvest Program

Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program
Generally, an alligator may be considered a nuisance if it is at least 4 feet in length and poses a threat to people, their pets, or property.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yeah you must all know I'm way behind the times up here and am finally slowly getting caught up on all that I missed reading over the past couple of weeks but I just had to throw my 2 cents in on this one!
I agree its a BIG no no to throw your dog poop in a lake of any sort and putting it into poopie bags and into the trash is the thing to do. Its what I do and I am sure 99.9% of the population up here do it was well. The big thing is it is illegal to put dog poop in your trash here and if your trash is audited (which apparently they will do at times) and you are caught you get this big citation warning you if caught again they can actually refuse to pick it up. What to do you ask? Well you are to flush it down the toilet of course. Ever try flushing frozen dog turds town the toilet?
This brings me to another problem -- Canada Geese. We have about 50 or so who love to make our bay and our grass their home. We do everything possible to keep them and their poop our of our yards -- one neighbour chases them with his boat, hubby uses a sling shot and yet another guy shoots at them with frozen paint balls and although all of the above methods work these wylie guys must know the sound of cars leaving and make there way onto our lawns the moment we are not watching. Now it is said that a goose poops every six minutes -- whoever came up with this must have had a lot of time on their hands and a lot of poop on their lawn. Anyway after an afternoon of goose grazing our lawn can yield a pail or two of goose pooh. What to do with it? Can't put it in the trash, not going to flush it ya have to bury it. But don't forget if it rains coz you will now have a pail of soupy poop.
I propose that you parcel up a gator and mail it to me -- I promise it a diet of Canada Goose!

·
Registered
417 Posts
The big thing is it is illegal to put dog poop in your trash here and if your trash is audited (which apparently they will do at times) and you are caught you get this big citation warning you if caught again they can actually refuse to pick it up. What to do you ask? Well you are to flush it down the toilet of course. Ever try flushing frozen dog turds town the toilet?
Same issue here! Dog poop is "banned" from the garbage. We are supposed to flush it down the toilet, or get one of those in-ground pet waste disposal systems in our backyards....um, yeah, whatever.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Canada Geese. We have about 50 or so who love to make our bay and our grass their home. We do everything possible to keep them and their poop our of our yards -
Keeping canada geese away is one of the few things border collies are good for.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Just wanted to pipe in with – I like the shotgun idea.
Same issue here! Dog poop is "banned" from the garbage. We are supposed to flush it down the toilet, or get one of those in-ground pet waste disposal systems in our backyards....um, yeah, whatever.
Good to know – Just before Flash got the lump we were looking for places to retire in and just days before got back from Missouri – now I have to add “Dog poop being banned” on my list of things to lookout for when finding the right state.

That's what I tried to tell my hound at the time, but he hated anyone seeing him poop, and hiding in the garden protected his dignity.

Thanks Catherine, I’m so glad Flash wasn’t alone in with the privacy issues she had. The last time we went to the Basset Waddle – they have an area off to the side for all the hounds to do their business in – but nope – Flash made we walk her across the street and down a few blocks so no one would see her do her business. She was a very proud shy girl.

Jen~

1 - 20 of 28 Posts