Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When she was a puppy, she ate a bee and her face and head got so swollen. Because I too am allergic to insect bites, I recognized the signs immediately and zoomed her over to the vet.

The second time I saved her life was when she was a teenager and tried to swallow a rawhide whole. My hands are small so I was able to stick almost my entire hand down there and get it out; she was choking.

At 10 a.m. today she had a scheduled appt for yearly shots and to get her nails trimmed and so on. All was fine. This afternoon (2:30 p.m.), I was working in the garden and she was outside with me for a short period of time.

About 30 minutes after she came back into the house, she started scratching her ears and acting very distressed. 10 minutes later I noticed the hives on her head and face so I got her into the car and I hightailed back over to the vet. They took her as an emergency and gave her a big shot of benedryl and steroid. The swelling went down immediately and within 30 minutes, we're home. I'm watching her like a hawk too.

The vet is the same one she saw this a.m. and she is not sure if the hives are from a possible bee or perhaps an allergic reaction to the vaccines this a.m. She's had all of these shots B4 but not here in this state. She's never had an allergic reaction to these vaccines B4.

I asked what we're going to do next year when it's vaccine time again and she suggested that she gets a benedryl shot 30 minutes prior to the vaccine just to make sure.

Anyway I wanted to let you know that I've saved my little Ruby three times now! I hope she has 9 lives and not just the 3. She's snoring away now and my hands are shaking and I'm a wreck, but I'll be fine soon.

Janice and my little Ru-baby :unsure: :( :unsure:

·
Registered
465 Posts
So glad everything turned out OK. Sounds like you have to really watch her when she is out, in case it is an insect reaction. :unsure:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Oh, poor Ruby! How scary. Sally has had a few bad reactions to bee stings - it took her forever to realize they were bad bugs and to leave them alone. Now when she sees one, she backs up and barks at it. Ruby, stop scaring your Mommy like that!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Yogi has a horrible time with the bees, too. He only swole all up like a big balloon once --- it stung him on the head or something and made me so frantic that all I could do was run around in circles going oh no what do I do what do I do what do I do?? :p and by the time I finished panicking, the swelling had gone down by half.

I always keep liquid Benadryl around. It can really sock it to that anaphylactic shock nonsense!!

Glad Ruby's okay.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Because of Murray's past reactions to shots, this year we stagggerd them- He had his rabies in August, 2 others last month, and will have the final one this month.

He is also on a 3 year protocol- we had a titre done last year and the year before to see if his immunizations were holding up. According to the titre results they were, so this way, he only gets his shots every 3 years.

I have been a nervous wreck since we started in August, and am glad I won't have to go through it again for another 3 years.

I'm glad Ruby is back to normal!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Ruby owes you big. I'm glad she's okay. Lightning had a bad reaction to his shots one year, but never since (and I also had to stick my hand down his throat after rawhide once). It seems to me that if she'd reacted to the vaccinations, it would have happened much sooner than it did. It sounds to me like she's a delicate flower that cannot tolerate insects. But, better safe than sorry, so a benedryl shot before her vaccinations certainly won't hurt her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts