Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...that you did not like what Blair had to say, so you took his post down and now won't let him log on. In his defense, he was just trying to help. You all jumped on him like a bog with a ham bone.... No, you were not very welcoming. He honestly was not trying to cause problems.

Blair had a female basset who died of old age. He and his family were devistated. He found me and has put a deposit down on a female pup. He and his family have come to visit. They are VERY excited about their new pup, and will be wonderful owners. I wish everyone who purchases a pup from me where this dedicated to their pup.

For the record, my Sire IS DNA tested through the AKC as was his father and his grandfather. My bitches (2) are 1st and 2nd generation. My latest litter is from a bitch with a champion bloodline sire. I took her mother to a breeder in Conroe, TX to have her breed. Both bitches have had litters this year. Both bitches were taken to the vet for health verification BEFORE there were allowed to be breed.

My dogs are family pets, and I don't just have litters to "make a quick buck". In fact, my older Basset will scheduled to be spayed due to her two unusually large litters (12 and 13 pups three years apart). Her health is more important to me than "making a quick buck". IF I choose to allow my second female to have another litter, it will not be for another couple of years. In fact, I am keeping at least one pup from this last litter.

Eventhough I am a Hobbiest, I take great pride in doing it right. My pups are meant to be family pets. I am honest and up front with all my buyers. In fact, they are encouraged to visit. My pups are healthy and their genetics are solid.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
soundtrack,
can you repost your link to the red flags on breeders please on this thread (assuming it doesn't get poofed too)

it was chock full of good info--most I knew but some I didn't
like the part about the incorrect terminology and its usage
and the part about the nursing pups on a website--which i saw on one recently but didn't think twice about it.
important stuff and since that thread was removed maybe more people could see it if you reposted?

·
Registered
973 Posts
None of the responders in the thread have the ability to take down posts. Only an administrator can remove posts and they will only do so if they violate the rules of the forum which everyone must adhere to. The administrator is not an "active member" of the forum. They don't post or act upon opinions; they simply enforce rules.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess the point I am trying to make is that Blair made an innocent "mistake".... He was promptly suspected of being a dishonest breeder and was treated quite abruptly. The suscribers that responded to his post did not ever give him the benifit of a doubt and learn his story. I have seen pictures of his now desceased Basset. She was treated like a queen and her loss was a great loss to the entire family. Blair is just a Basset loving family man who is excited about getting a healthy solid family pet. He and his family have visited my house and played with all three of my adult Bassets. They held their pup and I fixed a bottle for them to feed her as a bonding thing for his kids.

My goal is to provide good solid family pets to families. I tell this to ALL who want to buy a pup from me. Blair knows this. He just got irritated due to the tone of the rebukes he received and what he considered "elitist" attitude, and finally just told ya'll that you "needed" to get a life"..... (No, he never cursed.) This is why he was booted.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
the forum's got to have rules about these things. was it a gray area? sure. were some of the rebukes testy? absolutely. but with all the backyard breeders selling poorly bred animals with a focus on the profiteering side than the betterment of the breed side the questions were certainly warranted. could they have been presented better? most certainly. bottom line is if you're not supposed to advertise litters are specific breeders here then a rule was broken and that's just that. honestly, as many irresponsible breeders as we've all seen, and the ability to cloak oneself in cyberspace, you cannot help but be suspicious at first. I fully understand both sides of this situation. If nothing else, the entire discussion is at least enlightening to users of this forum who may never have thought of differentiating between reputable breeders and backyard breeders. If one person learns what to look for and learns not to support poor breeders then it was worth the one thread, and user, having been eliminated.

rant = over

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Since the owner/moderator of this board is not a poster (and I believe not a basset owner) I can only assume that they determined that the original post was indeed advertising and removed it. None of us can do that

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
For the record, my Sire IS DNA tested through the AKC as was his father and his grandfather.
This is meaningless. An AKC DNA profile is for proving parentage only and says NOTHING about genetic health. All sires of more than 5 (I think) Litters are required to be profiled.
My bitches (2) are 1st and 2nd generation.
Again, meaningless. 1st and 2nd generation what? Your breeding? What does that have to do with quality or health?
My latest litter is from a bitch with a champion bloodline sire.
The myth (and often outright deception) of “champion lines” - Ruffly Speaking
Both bitches were taken to the vet for health verification BEFORE there were allowed to be breed.
Again, a general health checkup, while good, is not what responsible breeders are referring to when they talk of health testing. How about a DNA test for BHT? A CERF exam? More importantly, how well do you know the dogs behind yours and what problems have arisen in the line. Do you know what problems YOUR dogs have produced?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
coming in late but still coming in. I am a reputable breeder(as are several others on this forum).We try to educate first, before people buy ,but that doesn't always happen. I am also a hobby breeder since I do not have a kennel,I breed when I want a puppy to keep, and show.I have just had my first litter since 1994 and everyone on here has seen photos of my puppies but in no way shape or form did I say to anyone if you are looking I've got them,ok,I invited someone to contact me off this site if they wanted to talk about things but that was way before the litter was ever born and we have not talked since.This was never an ad for my litter the point I'm getting at is the better breeders try to stay true to the AKC standard for Basset Hounds and have them tested for genitic problems that may crop up in a litter. The dam of my puppies was tested for thrombopathy,do you even know what that is? A bleeding disorder,she tested clear,or I would not have bred her.There were other things she was not directly tested for but because I know the dogs on both sides of the pedigree and no dog was affected by these things I did not test for so I feel safe in saying it is highly unlikely they will develop in the puppies,and even that could come around to bite me in the rear. I'm sure the poor man who posted on here got an ear full,the people on here have learned from us or hard lessons on their own that those just breeding pets are most likely breeding for money only without reguards to the structure of the dogs . Sometimes we jump instead of easing into what we want to say but many on this fourm have been through a lot with bassets they picked from other than reputable breeders and know the down falls. As for supplying pets ,do you know what happens to those pets down the line,do you keep in touch with all your puppy buyers at least once a year.Are you willing to take them back if the owners can no longer care for, or do not want tham anymore. As a breeder there is much more responsibility to these puppies than just getting them good homes.Said my part.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
A brand new user's first post included a link to a kennel selling puppies, saying people in the area looking for a male pup should go there. A couple of us objected to the post on the grounds that it was advertising. The poster took offense at our position (although I didn't see the "get a life" post). The post has been removed.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Guys, to be honest, I am one of those hated dog owners....I had never had any experience buying a pup (I had rescued in the past) and I just went to a breeder I found....it was farm and Basset hounds were his interest....Woody is AKC (meaningless I know) and I pray every day for his continued health...He was meant just to be my family member, not for show or will I ever breed him (neutered awhile ago)...

Of course you wonderful people have really opened my eyes to the situation and when we do get Woody his sister, it will be a rescue...just because as much as I loved his puppy time, I want to give another Basset a chance at a forever home...
there again I have you folks to thank for advise there on what to look for and ask about during the rescue....

Although I view Woody as my family, my child, I feel that you people are really great for advise, caring and support....and I wouldn't trade him for anything in this world.....

Kristi, Woody's mom

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Guys, to be honest, I am one of those hated dog owners....I had never had any experience buying a pup (I had rescued in the past) and I just went to a breeder I found....it was farm and Basset hounds were his interest....Woody is AKC (meaningless I know) and I pray every day for his continued health...He was meant just to be my family member, not for show or will I ever breed him (neutered awhile ago)..
Nobody hates dog owners who unwittingly purchase from a dubious source. Nor did anyone "hate" the poster of the ad - he was simply informed that it appeared to be advertising (and why it appeared to be so) and he reacted negatively to that.

I DO object to people who breed their dogs with insufficient knowledge, care, or responsibility. Playing with lives (not only the puppies and their dam, but also the families who purchase and love those puppies) is a serious undertaking.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Soundtrack, I completely agree...maybe it was my awkward way of saying "thanks" to you folks for educating me on so many facets of Bassets...like a true first time mom I went into this blindly but was very willing to read up on every thing I could find...and you folks have been so wonderful in not only sharing the fun, but offering such caring advise.....

I know so much more now and hope that I continue with learning (just like parenthood....heck mine are 21, 14 and 12 and I am still learning right with them)....he's not just my pet, he's one of my own, my baby....:rolleyes:....

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The Czech word is curak, pronounced choo-rock. That's the more off-color one.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Soundtrack does make good points! Made me laugh though : ) especially the 1st generation what? I'd like to have all those questions answered *nod nod*

I am one of those people who thought they had done all the research, and thought I got a great deal on a basset pup. Medical bills later, I realize i've done it alllllll wrong. I still love my boy though.

But, Very aware of blank statements.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts