Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a 10 month old Bassett Hound named Willie. He came in today and I saw his eye was nasty looking. I don’t know if that’s normal or if something is seriously wrong or how to help it. Any insight that could help me? I’m freaking out about my baby...

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
what you are seeing is his third eye lid ie nictating membrane. Is there any discharge from the Eye. Could be normal they do this sometimes when tired or just getting up but if persistent could be inflamed i.e. infection or dry eye. can also be a symptom of allergies.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I never mess around with eyes - please that poor boy to your vet for diagnosis and treatment. The third eyelid reacts to an injury or an infection (or other).

Oh and please get those nails clipped!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never mess around with eyes - please that poor boy to your vet for diagnosis and treatment. The third eyelid reacts to an injury or an infection (or other).

Oh and please get those nails clipped!!
He has a vet appointment this week. I hate to cut his nails because I don’t want them too short. Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what you are seeing is his third eye lid ie nictating membrane. Is there any discharge from the Eye. Could be normal they do this sometimes when tired or just getting up but if persistent could be inflamed i.e. infection or dry eye. can also be a symptom of allergies.
Thank you for all your help. Within 24hours his eye was back to normal.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
"I hate to cut his nails because I don’t want them too short."
He may wear them down depending on the ground he's mainly on, but if you leave them that long, his foot will never hit the ground correctly which could cause problems eventually - not the least being his feet will 'spread'.

Glad his eye is better tho' he's a nice looking boy, even if his front isn't his fortune.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"I hate to cut his nails because I don’t want them too short."
He may wear them down depending on the ground he's mainly on, but if you leave them that long, his foot will never hit the ground correctly which could cause problems eventually - not the least being his feet will 'spread'.

Glad his eye is better tho' he's a nice looking boy, even if his front isn't his fortune.
What do you mean by “even if his front isn’t his fortune”? He isn’t a show dog. He doesn’t win any money. He runs and plays with our hunting dogs. His nails are now cut and he went to the vet and now has eye drops.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
"Forequarters
Shoulder blades well laid back; shoulders not heavy. Forelegs short, powerful and with great bone; elbows turning neither in nor out but fitting neatly against side. Upper forearm inclined slightly inwards, but not to such an extent as to prevent free action or to result in legs touching each other when standing or in action; forechest fitting neatly into crook when viewed from front. Knuckling-over highly undesirable. Some wrinkles of skin may appear on lower legs, but this must on no account be excessive."

From the UK KC Breed Standard. Makes no difference whether or not he's a 'show dog'. With apologies for being critical - once a breeder/judge, always one :D. I'm sure you love him, regardless.

Attached my UK Ch. (whelped in Canada and came with us when we returned to the UK.)

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Forequarters
Shoulder blades well laid back; shoulders not heavy. Forelegs short, powerful and with great bone; elbows turning neither in nor out but fitting neatly against side. Upper forearm inclined slightly inwards, but not to such an extent as to prevent free action or to result in legs touching each other when standing or in action; forechest fitting neatly into crook when viewed from front. Knuckling-over highly undesirable. Some wrinkles of skin may appear on lower legs, but this must on no account be excessive."

From the UK KC Breed Standard. Makes no difference whether or not he's a 'show dog'. With apologies for being critical - once a breeder/judge, always one :D. I'm sure you love him, regardless.

Attached my UK Ch. (whelped in Canada and came with us when we returned to the UK.)
That’s kind of highly rude of you to say all that about someone’s dog. He’s not from the UK he doesn’t look like that dog of yours. He’s a healthy dog!

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
If you check the AKC Breed Standard it's pretty much the same. Just trying to spread the word :p

I have apologised for being critical, and why I made my comment!! I'm sorry you see this as being rude.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think it is spammer or someone who joined the forum for marketing purposes: I guess people will do anything for a buck. Very annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts