Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help. Ive had my Ripley for 2 years now and I always assumed she is 100% basset hound but a Basset owner was at my house yesterday and pointed out that my dog did not look exactly like her dog. Her dog is droopy as hell and mine is not. She asked if Ripley
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog

Dog Carnivore Comfort Dog breed Fawn

Dog Vertebrate Carnivore Comfort Mammal

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Pet supply Fawn

Snow Smile Gesture Fawn Freezing

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Scent hound Companion dog

Dog Scent hound Dog breed Carnivore Wood

Dog Couch Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

Dog Carnivore Comfort Dog breed Companion dog

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn

was part beagle and I never actuallg saw my dogs parents. I am Pretty sure she is full basset and just body positive but I want to know what you guys think.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Don't be put off by what some people will say. For starters she's female and as a general rule, female Bassets don't have quite the same amount of 'furnishings' as males do. Further, below is our Can.Ch. Turberville Woodpacker who we had imported to us from the UK when we lived in Canada. He gained his Canadian title before eventually returning to the UK with us when we came back 'home'. He wasn't over-endowed with wrinkling but was a sensible type - more in line with the revised British Breed Standard after, having become very exaggerated here, it was felt time to cut out 'excesses'. Woody was behind pretty much all our later hounds and believe you me, was ALL Basset.

I hope this loads!

ps What's going on with her jaw (one of the photos here)?

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Do you have her official (AKC) registration papers, and her pedigree? Personally, and having seen the results of some DNA testing on dogs whose background was KNOWN, I'd save your money re having your girl DNA tested. Did you buy her from a well-known breeder? I don't see, unless you are intending to breed from her, why you need to worry about her being 100% purebred - especially just because somebody (another well-known breeder?) suggests otherwise. The European Basset often has way more furnishings than others and this individual may well have one of those?

Below is a group of those we brought back from Canada with us, at the end of a walk, Woody sitting just above our bicolour boy Ben (Verulam Harvester), who was one of his sons.
Plant Dog Carnivore Grass Dog breed

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
there is nothing in the photo that would stand out as to not being pure bred. even in the AKC standard there are limits on where wrinkling is allowed

Artemis is 2nd Dual Grand Champion Bitch in US

Harriet is a very Doggy bitch for the US

Hope Very feminine Bitch Pointed on Conformation winner of 3 High In Trial in agility at BHCA Nationals

Pumpkin similar to her sister hope in body style Grand field Champion and pointed in Conformation as picture notes'

all different styles all conformational able to win in the show ring there is a pretty broad range as far as skin looseness but at either extreme end of too tight or excessive wrinkles is a problem

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
I have a male basset and if you ask me she looks like a basset. The main thing is you love her that is what is important. My basset had the DNA and whole thing done before we got him because he comes from some big winner. It doesn't matter one bit as long as he is healthy. He is stubborn but smart. Never had a basset before, what a wonderful breed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dog Carnivore Collar Fawn Dog breed

My little hooligan is 100% basset, having met her mum, she is typical of the breed. Her face is very similar to Ripley, and the look of utter distain as I tell her to move away from the hob while her mum is cooking shows her basset demeanour.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts