Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new puppy and he loves to chew on everything he's not suppose to and i know he does it just because hes not suppose to. I have tried telling him no but when i do that he bites harder or does it even more and now i have a squirt bottle full of water which seemed to work the first couple of days but now as soon as i put the squirt bottle down he goes right back to being bad. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Dogs are not capable of doing things "because they know they're not supposed to". Puppies have a hard wired need to chew. This lessens a bit with age. Until then, keep things out of his reach as much as possible, and supply him with plenty of things he CAN chew. When he chews something inappropriate, redirect his behavior be offering him one of his own chewies. Bully sticks are good - there are many options in any pet store. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What a handsome little guy, and a cute picture. Just remember, that the cute little seemingly harmless things they do now, as sitting on a table, can become a nightmare when they are a 50 to 60 pound grownup in a much larger body. Once habits are started they are very hard to break. Also jumping up and down off furniture can be tough on Bassets long backs and cause disc problems down the road.
Marcia is right on track with having plenty of chew toys around. Get him a toy bin, box, etc. to keep his toys in. They learn quickly that these are theirs. We use a metal flower box, about 10 inches wide and about 20 inches long which is non chewable. Started with a neat wicker basket, but found it chewed. We trade whenever Bogie gets something he shouldn't have. I tell him "NO!" when I take the forbidden object, and hand him his rawhide, bone, etc.. When he takes it, we pet him and lavish the praise. Whenever you see him chewing on the right items be sure to walk over and praise. Pet him, praise him, take it out of his mouth, and hand it right back and praise again. This helps prevent growling and guarding issues later. Do the same while he is eating. Pet and praise.
Good luck and have fun with your new little one.

Arooos from Bogie!
You don't own a Basset, a Basset owns you!!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
What a beautiful puppy! The one small bit of advice I will add is that bassets seem to respond best with lots of praise. After a reprimand, I would show him the correct behavior, and when he responds to what you want, give him lots and lots of praise. They really do want to please you.Keep us posted on how it's going-
edited to say:Oops- looks like BubbaLeroy and I were posting about praise at the same time- :D ! It does work!

S

·
0 Posts
I have no advice, I just wanted to say welcome to the site and I LOVE the picture of him on the table!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks you guys all had great advice. Fred already has plenty of toys to chew on. He is very spoiled already but he looses interest in them as soon as he sees my feet or my hands :roll: I guess it's just going to take a little while before he starts catching on. I forgot how playful basset hound puppies really are. I am so use to being around george and he's 10.

T

·
0 Posts
Two very handsome hounds, but I have to admit I'm a sucker for the seniors. George looks pleased to have a little brother. Sorry, no advice except to "ditto" what everybody else has said. Some have also said when they're in the chew-everything stage that a wash rag wrung up and frozen is good if they're teething. I think (if you don't want to get him started on chewing cloth) that there are some toys you can buy that can be frozen.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
78 Posts
you might try some bitter apple spray to spray on your hands and things you know he is attracted to..the spray worked for me but i know others were not as successful. also, you might try shaking a coffee can of pennies....seems like the sound got my bassets attention.
i just thought i was over the chewing stage and found that sadie started to chew on my living chairs. so with that she is back in the kitchen area...
your pup is also experiencing teething which escalates the need to chew.

M

·
0 Posts
Oh Fred is too handsome!!!!!!! George is quite good looking too. I definitely have soft spot for our senior hounds. I agree with what everyone else said (Bubba Leroys Mom). Trade him a good chew for something He isn't suppossed to have. My two that are a year old love their Nylabones. They chew on those for hours. Bitter apple also works wonders! Good Luck!

Please keep posting pictures as he grows. I love to see pictures of all the hounds!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
They are both adorable. You might try a kong with a bit of frozen can food inside. My bassets will play with them for hours-

·
Registered
12,937 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I havent heard of apple spray before. Can I buy that at a pet store? Fred will be going back to vet for more shots next weekend so I will look around for some more toys and things. Thanks for all the good ideas. Also I have been taking fred to benifield. It is the vet at petsmart. For about $20 a month you get all of the puppies shots free. 2 free teeth cleanings a year and if your dog ever gets really sick you only have to pay a small percentage of the bill and getting your dog spayed or neutered is also included. I love all the deals and how nice the people are there that I thought I would share that with you guys. You can read about it on petsmart.com if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Bitter apple , bitter orange, bitter whatever all my hounds never found them adversive rather a condimentent, can you say pass the grey poupon?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
One of my favorite pictures (which I can't seem to find) is Bella carrying a Bitter Apple Spray Bottle around in her mouth. I agree that puppies need to chew, and toys and other chewies help. Other than that, I've found the only thing to do is to keep them within eye sight, and if they escape, listen carefully for the *crunch crunch* of whatever they've found.
Your guy is *really* cute. I do agree--what they do as a 25 pound puppy, they also do as 45 lb. adult. I just spent an evening in the vet hospital with 45 lb., 2 year old Bella *sitting* on my lap (not just by me, entirely on my lap). Wish I would have had a camera.
Sharon Hall

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just remember, that the cute little seemingly harmless things they do now, as sitting on a table, can become a nightmare when they are a 50 to 60 pound grownup in a much larger body. Once habits are started they are very hard to break.
I agree with you. This was the first time he climbed on the table and it was so cute I had to take a picture before I made im get down ( well 3 pictures). But he is not allowed to go up there anymore. Also someone said that jumping on the couch is bad for there back, I know thats true . Do any of you have a ramp or anything for your dogs to get on the couch? I know a lot of people have them for the bed. We are making fred sleep on the floor so he doesnt get in the habbit of sleeping on the bed. because i know they may start sleeping at the end of the bed but they end up right in the middle with there head on the pillow and under the covers. Also does anyone have any good ideas for wires? Mypuppy cannot stay away from the electrical cords. I've trid taping them to the walls but that doesnt work. He gets distracted by them when i'm playing with him on the floor.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had to hide the wires from the guinea pig, not the hound. The best bet is to use (of all things) PVC piping - the small type. You can secure the wires in there, and they are firmly sealed. Best way is to cut he pipes open along the back, so you can get the wires in, and the strength of the pipe will hold them in. Some companies make similar 'wire keepers' - I even found a product on these lines in IKEA once. These are also superb for keeping wires from tangling.

As for ramps, we did buy a nice bench for the bedroom to allow access to the bed. Sebi only cares to sleep at the foot of the bed, so we don't have that MY BED issue. Plus, as it is getting warmer up here now, he prefers to sleep on the floor now it seems. No complaints from us!

Good luck with the puppy training!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That sounds like just what I need. Also I have had bassets all my life living with my mom and none of them were playful after the puppy stage but I have noticed a lot of people on here talk about how they still play with there dogs. I always thought bassets were lazy and didnt play much but is it the other way around?

·
Registered
662 Posts
One of the Basset "Myths" is that they are lazy or couch potatoe-ish. My vet said he's so happy with me because about 99% of bassets he's seen through his office come in overweight, over fed and under excercised. (and my bassets are neither)

People just assume bassets are the lazy hound snoozing by the fireplace or rocking chair and don't need much excercise.

While my bassets do tend to enjoy a good nap they are also VERY active hounds.

They like nothing better than when I pick up the leash and they know it's "walk time" or going out in their yard with the kids and running around for a couple hours.

Now true my hounds are still technically "pups" in that they aren't even 2 years old yet ... there is a lady that lives near here and her basset is somewhere between 6 to 8 years old. (She was a rescue hound and that's the closest guess they have to her age).

She brings her hound to the school all the time and she runs all over the place playing with the kids.

You'll see people on here with their bassets in agility classes even! Now I'm sure they aren't in the same class as some of the more "agile" dogs BUT they can still do it!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
You have 2 very, very handsome houndies. I do love the pic of Fred on the table. A classic basset shot!

I suspect that the idea that bassets are couch potatoes happened becuase the owners got lazy - not the bassets. I have 4 wonderful houdies aged 2 -4 and they run and play for hours. Personally I get exhausted just watching them. Of course, they also sleep incredibly soundly for hours.

Also, since bassets have "the look" I fear that people tend to feed them more than they should. Mine, of course, get treats throughout the day but I try to make sure it's all healthy food (including veggies and fruits) and not junk food.

Enjoy your two wonderful guys! And keep posting pics.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts