Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an AKC registered bitch for my male. He's a one year old tricolor, papered of course. So if your in or near Iowa and looking for a hansome stud, let me know. I can e-mail pictures if you're interested. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I don't mean to be a sad sack but I would want to know a lot more about your male before breeding a bitch to him. What lines does he come from? Has he been tested for glaucoma,and other genetic problems,like VWD. Why do you want to breed him? The answer needs to be better than "he is so cute","I want a puppy as a stud fee". Just because a dog can breed doesn't mean he should.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Bubbad is right. If a reputable breeder does indeed have a nice bitch to be bred, he/she will only breed to a stud they know, one who has health clearances, who has been shown successfully in conformation or field trials. We all think our dogs are beautiful, cute, perfect in every way, but for breeding purposes, it takes a good deal more than our decidedly biased opinion!!!

Unless, of course, you seek to promote the puppy-mill philosophy?!?!?!?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I would think, if a stud is all that, there'd be no need for a breeder to post on public boards looking for a female.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Biscuit is right. The owner of the bitch usually selects a short list of studs that she thinks will complement her bitch. While stud owners *do* advertise, it's usually by way of advertising show wins and various awards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts