Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Molly's mom just had her last litter and we are going out to visit the puppies. Surely, we will be reserving one and bringing it home in early April. Molly really needs a playmate and her need trumps my reservations about having another puppy around. I must be crazy:rolleyes: But 2 bassets are better than 1, right? What are all of your experiences? Should I bite the bullet? It means that Molly has a true sibling with her - same mom AND dad!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Puppies! If you can afford another pup financially and have the time and space for both, then I say go for it! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous lol. Take pics of the pups for us!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think we're sold. We have the time, money, and room for it. Molly will have a blast. She stayed at my mom's last night while we were out of town and she spent the whole time playing with mom's teacup poodle. They were inseparable. Try as we might, we can't give Molly the companionship that only another dog can. Our last dog wouldn't tolerate another dog in the house, but Molly is quite the opposite.

We're taking her with when we pick out the puppy next weekend and she'll get to see her mom and dad again. I just think it'll be neat to have a true sibling at home with her. We considered taking one of her sisters too when we got her, but it would have been too much and the breeder advised against it. Now, I think we're as ready as we'll ever be for another baby basset.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I knew you'd all tell me to do it :) I'll post a picture when we meet our new baby :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Having multiple bassets is a wonderful thing. We originally adopted Layla because we wanted Rosco to have a companion and playmate. It was one of the best decisions we've made. They are like two peas in a pod. Since we have brought her home, they've been pretty much inseparable. Not only do the provide company for each other, they make our lives so much richer. And now having our third hound Breezy has made it even better. They bring a daily smile to my face. They're best thing next to two legged children. Go for it! You won't regret it!!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I find that even if the dogs don't play together nonstop, they'll enjoy just having the presence of another dog around so that they're never alone.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bubbad, I don't know how many litters Molly's mom has had, but this is her last litter. The breeder said the dog has some allergies that have developed and in order to treat them properly, she can't have any more puppies. The dog is not too old, but I'm glad to see they are putting the her health first. They are really nice people and seem to care more for the health and well-being of the dogs and the puppies than they do for the money.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wish we could get Charlotte a buddy, she loves to play with other dogs soooo much. But I am afraid our next rental application will look like we have a petting zoo (2 dogs + 2cats = too many haha) and we'd never get accepted again.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
my people had two
they said it's great having more than one. they played together and slept together and ate together... they were each other's world. When the first died Jan8th, the other was so, so sad. Double edged sword. Makes them happier but if one goes makes the other sadder. :eek:(
They keep telling me that I'm the best thing to happen to them in a long time. (Hard for a pretty girl like me not to get the big head, y'knows?) But I've also heard hints about something like ress-q? I think this means I'm in for a fur-brother soon. I don't know... i just NOW got to be an only child. But then the daddy said something about later--like autumn. Hmmm. don't know what I think about this. OH SQUIRREL~!
Sorry.
wait what was I saying? ah yes, two are better than one, but three are better tha...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
616 Posts
I wish we could get Charlotte a buddy, she loves to play with other dogs soooo much. But I am afraid our next rental application will look like we have a petting zoo (2 dogs + 2cats = too many haha) and we'd never get accepted again.
I know how you feel on that...We have 3 hounds and 5 cats. We tend to rent houses and don't always list all the critters we have. It's hard to get landlords to understand/ believe that your good renters and don't let the animals tear things up. There's so many people that have ruined landlords because they are irresponsible pet owners/renters/

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL Esther! You'll love having a brother...someday. Enjoy having all the toys to yourself for now.

Two will definitely be our dog limit. I know I couldn't do more. I am getting very excited to go meet our new guy next weekend! The one I had my eye on is reserved :( But I am sure another will steal my heart. We'll see what Molly thinks.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I know how you feel on that...We have 3 hounds and 5 cats. We tend to rent houses and don't always list all the critters we have. It's hard to get landlords to understand/ believe that your good renters and don't let the animals tear things up. There's so many people that have ruined landlords because they are irresponsible pet owners/renters/
We're renting our house right now and the landlord originally said no pets because the people who were renting this house before us had three huge dogs (think rotties, dobermans, etc) and they tore the whole place up. When we moved in there were huge pee stains (and my dogs haven't been completely mess free either in that respect but we at least clean up after ours) all over the floor and they knocked down the chain link fence in the teeny tiny back yard.

So needless to say, our landlord was almost ruined on having pets in his houses. But when he heard that my husband was in the Air Force and was an officer, he said we could have no more than two dogs. I think we've proven that we're responsible pet owners. Even though our dogs have torn up the yard with digging, chewed through the telephone cable, and peed on the carpet many times. But we clean up after our dogs' messes, we're planning on filling any holes when we move, and we're getting the phone company out to replace the wires on my husband's next set of offs.

But I agree that some many landlords have been ruined on having pets in their houses. There was another house of our landlords that had that fake green astro turf type stuff in the garage and the renters had some more big dogs and they let them poop and pee all over that fake grass stuff, didn't clean up after them at all. Also, the dogs tore and chewed holes into the dry wall. Irresponsible pet owners have pretty much ruined it for everyone.

·
Registered
774 Posts
My boyfriends mom has a stray at her house who blessed her with 7 mystery puppies. We were over there thus weekend and it was all we could do to not bring one home. Puppies are so precious!! We have three dogs already though and our heads won the head heart battle. Thankfully they are some kind of birder collie mix, if they were basset in nature we'd have been sunk.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I was just curious ,not trying to start anything ,glad they are putting her health first but it also becomes a warning that your pups could have skin/allergy issues,but then maybe not,some do not show up till later in life.Like us.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bubbad, I didn't take any offense whatsoever :) I've thought about the allergies being passed on to my dogs and I'll ask the breeder more about it on Sunday. But we'll cross that bridge if we come to it. You never know what can crop up with animals. That's why I have a vet I trust :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts