Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rosco is almost 7 months old and we are still potty training. He is getting very good at letting me know when he needs to go out, but sometimes he will walk and pee at the same time. I know when he goes in the house because I took too long to get him out, he sits to go. I saw this for the first time the other night and until then I thought that me or my husband had been spilling something as we walked through the house.

I have never had a male dog and don't know if this is something that boy dogs do or if he it trying to mark the house. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
We have two boys and we have been very lucky on how quickly they were house trained. They were both pretty much potty trained in just a couple of weeks.

Morty walks through the blinds on our sliding glass door when he needs to go and Randolph just sits at the door and knocks with his paw until we come let him out. There have been a few accident, but only when we left them a lone a little too long or they had belly aches.

We didnt really do anything special with them. Both were in a crate for the first few months, which probably helped. When they had an accident we would shout No! and immediately take them outside. Beyond that, not much more we did to get them trained.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning doesn't lift his leg to pee, and he's 13. Never has. He was very difficult to housetrain. Easily 8 months old or older before he figured it out. But once he did, he got it. I doubt if Roscoe is marking. At his age he should be able to hold it until he gets outside. Could he be peeing as a submissive act or due to excitement?

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Walking and peeing is not uncommon however IMHO bassets are slow to mature in spincter control leaking if the line is thin is an indecation of this. That is it is just that an accident. dribling while walking especial if the dog is a bit excited. This line of pee seem much more common in males than females.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Our Rosco (by the way great name choice!) took about 8 months to potty train. He would have periods without accidents and then we would have a relapse. He also tended to dribble while walking. This tended to coincide with periods of excitement for him. He's now almost two and has grown out of that completely. I think Mikey T is right about the slow to mature sphincter. Just be patient with him and he'll grow out of it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have two boys and we have been very lucky on how quickly they were house trained. They were both pretty much potty trained in just a couple of weeks.

Morty walks through the blinds on our sliding glass door when he needs to go and Randolph just sits at the door and knocks with his paw until we come let him out. There have been a few accident, but only when we left them a lone a little too long or they had belly aches.

We didnt really do anything special with them. Both were in a crate for the first few months, which probably helped. When they had an accident we would shout No! and immediately take them outside. Beyond that, not much more we did to get them trained.
sorry off topic - love the names. Trading Places is a wicked film!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was beginning to think there was something wrong with Nitro, he doesn't lift his leg to pee either, he kinda stretches out and lets it go. He does get excited and pee, I try to get him outside to greet and pee, then let him back in.

hahaha - pee and greet sorry, I could not resist

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Boomer doesn't lift his leg, either. He tried to once when we were walking, and it made me laugh, it was rather funny looking. He does like Nitro does, stretches out, pees, then hops over it.

When someone comes over to the house and he's outside, he'll get so excited he'll wet himself and the porch.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Doppler doesn't life his leg either! He kind of squats and then steps over it. He's lifted his leg I think once since we've had him and it looked really funny. The basset my husband had growing up also didn't lift his leg to pee. I guess bassets being so long don't like to lift their legs to pee.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Rosco only seems to lift his leg to pee when we are up at our family's place in Michigan. He is usually roaming in the woods so that might be part of it. He also is hanging out with his buddy Max (a bagle) and I believe that is how Max relieves himself, so maybe he is just trying to look cool?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have to add that we took the dogs for a walk this afternoon and Doppler lifted his leg to pee on a bush. So I guess it just depends on what they're trying to pee on!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all very much for your replies!! And I am very sorry that I have not been able to get back on here sooner. Its flu season here and my husband and I seem to keep passing it off to each other.

Thanks again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts