Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I'm a new mommy of a basset hound, her name is Missy. Well my question is... Does your basset bark or whine to go outside? Missy doesn't! We have been conciesent with her with potty training and she still doesn't let us know she has to go. Can you give me advise on how to help her or to do something...

I know I'm going to hate saying this...I want to hear her bark!!!!

Danielle

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey everyone,
I'm a new mommy of a basset hound, her name is Missy. Well my question is... Does your basset bark or whine to go outside? Missy doesn't! We have been conciesent with her with potty training and she still doesn't let us know she has to go. Can you give me advise on how to help her or to do something...

I know I'm going to hate saying this...I want to hear her bark!!!!

Danielle
[/b]

we use a bell, he rings it when he needs to go out side. Search for poochie bells and you'll find alot on this.

good luck and trust me, once they start barking, you'll wish they hadn't learned.

·
Registered
284 Posts
how old is she?

our basset still doesnt bark to go outside and she is 15 months old. she barks at cats and for treats and for lots of other stuff but not for going out to pee.

we have wood flooring and we can here her nails clip clapping on the floor so we know when she wants to go out as we can here her walking into the dinning room to be let out.

maybe a dog flap would be good for you or a bell?

·
Registered
52 Posts
We really struggled with monty on the potty training but eventually a light went on and now he will scratch the door or bark. It all happend out of the blue so don't worry there is hope for your baby!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
We use Poochie Bells, too. They were already housebroken when we got them, but they seem to learn to use them almost instantly. Unfortunately, they frequently use them when they would like a treat or a pet, or just plain bored. <_< But the bells are loud enough that you can hear them anywhere in the house and they come in all sorts of colors. If I waited for mine to bark, I'd still be waiting. They hardly ever bark. A doggie door is ideal, but it doesn't work in our house.

·
Registered
118 Posts
José often stares at the door, trying to "will" it open. In his eyes, it works, because if he stares at it long enough there I am opening it!

I, too, go by the Click Click Click of his nails as he walks across the tile floor to the door. He does scratch on occasion too which helps. His new thing is on weekend mornings he walks into our room & checks on us, then walks to the door. Maybe he figured it out he needs me awake before the staring at the door thing works. B)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We also use the bells. Bogie is not a barker, either. The only thing that really gets him going is the squirrel in our back yard.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Menna is 18months old and has never asked to go out but I let her out and tell her to wee wee which she does every time , I tried lots of other methods when I was housetraining her nothing else seemed to work.
She can bark and does so at everything except to go out (be careful what you wish for)

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is silly but it worked. Our two would just stare at the door. No sound, no scratching just stare. So we we would say their name and then woof (it took a few woofs). :rolleyes:

Worked like a charm and I have no idea why. Rather embarrasing really!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
When Ruby was a puppy, I would catch her "look" and say, "Ruby, do you need to go out and make?" Then she'd run to the door and out we'd go. Back then she'd be on leash (or I should say that I was on leash) because our yard wasn't fenced.

Over the years we've changed the "go make" to "go make potty" because if we have to board her, they typically use the work potty.

She used to grab one of her bears when she had to do #2, (all of her toys are called bears no matter what it is), so when she'd get that look that means she needed to go out, we'd ask, Ruby do you need to get your bear and if she needed to do #2, she would. Now she she needs to go out and grabs her bear, we know what is going on.

We were very strict with her training early on and I was consistant with everything at certain hours. Helped that we got her when I stopped working and was home.

Now that she's middle age, (like her parents, we say - ha!), she has trained us very well to respond to her needs. She's spoiled but she's such a good little girl. She's been the backseat driver all over the country, from Bassetchusetts where she was born to Florida and then from Florida to California.

And she "moo's" better than cows. Wish you all could hear it; those who have think it's hilarous!

:lol:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Neither Mocha or Beldin will bark or whine to go out... I just have to kind of keep an eye on them. I notice they'll start pacing when they want out or they'll walk back and forth from me to the kitchen a lot (even though the door isn't by the kitchen) they generally want outside when they do that.

Beldin will bark to come back in the house IF it's raining outside ... but on warm or sunny days both he and Mocha will just lay by the door or romp in the yard til someone lets them back in.

Mostly for going out though it's just paying attention to the other signs they give off. I tried the bell but they don't like the sound of it and actually stay away from the door if it's hung up. So just letting them out often ... first thing in the morning ... after they eat or drink ... and before bed ... or after any time they've been in the crate for longer than 15 minutes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you....we will look into that bell! She's almost 4 months. She's a hoot! I'm sorry it took this long to get on our computer was sick! I had it fixed... I will be on here alot from now on!

Danielle

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Thank you....we will look into that bell! She's almost 4 months. She's a hoot! I'm sorry it took this long to get on our computer was sick! I had it fixed... I will be on here alot from now on!

Danielle
[/b]
One of the most common reason for house training failure is not to train a specific cue for the dog to use to let you know it needs to go out. The bell serves this purpose exceptionally well.

For details on how to train the behavior see

House Training: Ring My Bell!

K

·
0 Posts
With 6 dogs in the house - the only one who (occasionally ) barks to go out is... Jackson. *shrug*

1 - 14 of 14 Posts