Basset Hounds Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Gross Worm! That sounds absolutely disgusting. And you're right Kodi won that one. Luckily, Virga seems to have outgrown the poop eating. Thank God!

· Registered
209 Posts
Smili and Bessi usually do not eat their own poop....but....For some unknown reason, Smile thought that she would give it a go (No pun intended). Later that evening she got sick and barfed it back up.

It was the single most disgusting thing I have ever seen or smelled!

· Registered
12 Posts
Our Rosie who is now 8 months has just started this horrible habit about a week ago :-( We have to stand over her whilst she is performing so as to clear it up immediately. Do any of the remedies anyone has tried actually work ? I have read somewhere that it is a female thing? Would spaying her help ? obviously she has not had her first season yet but i am wondering if it is her hormones kicking in? Our male basset never did this,however he used to have a feast on our tortoises poo :-(

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks in anticipation

· Registered
1,272 Posts
It is definitely not just a female thing. Lots of male dogs on this forum do it. Nothing I've tried has helped. The only thing that works is picking it up before the dog can get to it. Grossest story ever: Many years ago, I had a mouse in the house. So I put mouse poison down (only in places the dogs couldn't get to). One day I saw Lightning outside wolfing something down. I got it in my head that he was eating a mouse that had ingested poison (back then I didn't know that the mouse wouldn't have had enough poison in him to hurt Lightning). So I panicked and gave Lightning hydrogen peroxide to get him to throw up. And I kept him inside so I could see what he'd been eating. Well, when he threw up I realized he'd been eating poop, and lots of it. So I ran to the kitchen to get paper towels to clean up the mess, and when I got back it was gone. He'd re-eaten his vomited up poop. You're welcome.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.