Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
616 Posts
We've recently discovered that Rosco has been doing this as well. Although he's eating frozen poo. I've looked at several articles and it could be just about anything. In our case I wonder if the food we're feeding them isn't high quality enough and it's coming out with a similar smell and texture as their food. They also said it could be a submissive dog behavior. Apparently eating the other dog's poop is a sign that they are acknowledging the other dog superior status.

Rosco is also a cat poop eater. There have been many times we've had to chase him away from the "kitty candy bars." I've had other friends with bassets that exhibit similar issues.

In our case, I'm hoping going back to a higher quality dog food will stop Rosco from eating poop as he didn't eat dog poop prior to switching dog food.

For now I will be forgoing any dog kisses until they invent doggy Listerine!

· Registered
616 Posts
Flash (Momma) eats poo once in awhile. We have tried everything. So, now I go out with them and pick up their poo as soon as they are done. Best way is to command "NO" while they are trying to eat it.
If the momma is eating the babies poo thats actually a natural mommy instinct. In the article I read, they said that mom's will eat the babies poo to help hide their scent. I've never had dogs that were older and related so I don't know if this is something that goes away as they get older.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.