Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Lightning eats poop because he thinks he's hungry. It's pretty obvious. I've used Dis-Taste, and I think it worked, but you have to give more than the recommended dosage, so it can get expensive. And as soon as I run out of the Dis-Taste, he goes back to eating poop. It's disgusting, but not abnormal and so far (knock on wood) hasn't caused him any physical harm.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
It is definitely not just a female thing. Lots of male dogs on this forum do it. Nothing I've tried has helped. The only thing that works is picking it up before the dog can get to it. Grossest story ever: Many years ago, I had a mouse in the house. So I put mouse poison down (only in places the dogs couldn't get to). One day I saw Lightning outside wolfing something down. I got it in my head that he was eating a mouse that had ingested poison (back then I didn't know that the mouse wouldn't have had enough poison in him to hurt Lightning). So I panicked and gave Lightning hydrogen peroxide to get him to throw up. And I kept him inside so I could see what he'd been eating. Well, when he threw up I realized he'd been eating poop, and lots of it. So I ran to the kitchen to get paper towels to clean up the mess, and when I got back it was gone. He'd re-eaten his vomited up poop. You're welcome.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.