Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy is 4 months old so he is far from ready to breed. But my questions is when he is of age, I would LOVE to breed him once before he gets fixed but with a basset hound. So their babies would be 75% basset and 25% beagle. He looks way more basset then beagle. I just wanted advice on if that was a good idea or not. I LOVE basset hounds but when we stumbled across Brady (our puppy) we fell in love. I have no idea how much the puppies would sell for or anything. I would love to be educated some more on this topic. He is updated on shots and is very well mannered, for being a puppy :) haha. So any advice is appreciated!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Please don't. For any number of reasons from once used, he may start looking for the 'next one' = become a nightmare to live with, to he's a mix breed and there's no need for him to be siring more litters of mix-bred puppies, percentages apart! You are unlikely to find anybody with a decent bitch interested in using him. Finally, any puppies from him will only be 'worth' what a mutt would cost from a Shelter.

I know you love the lad but leave this idea alone, please.

ps There should be no need to castrate him provided he's properly contained and not able to escape and produce unwanted litters of puppies. And for sure, wait until he's over a year to allow him to mature a bit (and the growth plates to close) or you'll have a 'silly puppy' for all his life. Only castrate for medical need - retained testicles being one.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Really...PLEASE Don't. Wonderful that you love your boy so much, but do some reading and you will see, it is not as simple or as good an idea as you think. I understand that bassets are addictive, why not consider getting your dog a buddy? I will bet you will fall in love with ANY basset......I know I do....we are on rescue #4 now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts