Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Poor Louie, but YEAH for finding his demons!

I second the thought that antihistamines (and a lot of other medications, for that matter) are nothing but a patch! They will treat the symptom, not the cause. For mild symptoms that would seem to be enough, but Louie seems to be more afflicted. Do you think that being hyper-allergic to one thing could eventually wear down the resistance to other things?
I think you're wise about the avoidance thing. I don't know how you can keep him from the trees and you certainly can't just cut 'em down. I've never been much of a believer in allergy shots (seen a lot of money made for the doctor with no results for the patient) but if he gets some relief from his suffering from them, then it's all worth it. I know that black walnut trees are sort of toxic (you can't grow a garden anywhere close to them-the soil is bad). As for mold and dust, I think it is natural for any body (dog or human) to sneeze a bit around these, it's the body's natural defense, but itching is another thing. Lanolin is tough on a lot of folks with sensitive skin. I can picture Louie resting on a new 100% cotton canvas or cordouroy bed soon.

Good luck CM and Louie. Let us know how things develop.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts