Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... but we dunno what it is...

showed up this evening on the side of my neck. i was at daycare today from 8-5pm, so something coulda happened there too.

it's very red. and hurts. only reason my person can touch it in the pic is because i'm half asleep. it's kinda like an abrasion or gash...? skin is very red, but not bloody or dripping blood or anything, tho.

do i need to see the vet?
i scratch myself before, but it never look like this...
is it possibly a dog bite? i did play hard with my friends at daycare...
how do i keep it clean?
going to Yuhshemittee Thursday... my person doesn't want it to get infected while we're there...
hard to wear cone of shame 'cause it irritates it...

any thoughts anyone??? my person says i'm lotsa trubble.
--Worm

ps. awww, maybe ya can't see it very well...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Might at least warrant a call to the vet if it's hurting you, Wormie. Especially since you're going away to a place where it can get dirty. My philosophy is: if in your gut, you feel like you need to talk to a vet, then call them. Peace of mind, ya know.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Kind of looks like a scratch, but ya better go to the vet and make sure, pal!
You got a big trip coming up, and you don't want to be sick!

·
Registered
437 Posts
It does look like a hard tussel mark, as I like to call them, But I agree that to put mom's mind at ease, call the vet...

And have lots of fun on your adventure Wwormy....

~Woody Hayes and his ma

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Agree! Looks like a scratch...Annie gets those when she gets too aggressive with scratching at a spot. They make wound sprays, ointments, etc...but a visit to the vet may get you something to help it heal quicker. Keep us posted Wormie :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Poor Wuh-Worm! I would go see a vet too. Hope it feels better soon.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I bet it's a hickey, knowing you, Worm.

Could it be a rash from being wet? It looks like it's in his dewlap, although it's kind of hard to tell. Stomps used to get irritated there because moisture would get trapped in his folds. I had to be sure to keep that area dry.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Too funny!!

yeah, i wish it was a hickey from Ms. Paisley. but alas, she is in Ontario...

went to the vet and they said it's something like "skin fold dermatitis/ pyoderma." so yes, you r right!! Stomps, ya got a clever ma!

i gotta shave at the vet's so they could take a better look. it's more like pinkish-red today, so looks better, tho still irritated. she gave me a spray that has steroids and some antibiotic in it. and i'm taking some benadryl, too. and she said i gotta wear my cone of shame. :mad: err.

fortunately, my person hasn't been able to find it yet. she looked for it all morning. hmmm. here's to hoping.
--Worm

·
Registered
767 Posts
Well since you shaved Worm now your a man or should we say The Man. Maggie and Daisy

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Oh Worm, I’m so glad your ow-ey wasn’t anything serious and just a nasty old rash:D

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the good wishes, basset palz...!

Maggie & Daisy, i like being The Man :) thanks for pointing that out... hee hee. well, i am feeling taller these dayz after i turned one.

ok... well, i'm off on my camping trip to Yuhshemmittee, armed with my Benadryl and steroid spray :huh:. my person says she is throwing me into the Merced Rivah (with lifejacket on...)... uh oh... looks like i might be doing some swimmin'....

peace out, my palz. and stay cool, k? no overheating. smell ya later,
--Worm

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yikes...careful on the Merced River Wormie!!! I'm pretty sure they just pulled a human body outta that sucker...ewwwwww.

Have fun and tell your person to take pics, please and thanks :)

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
FWIW issue like this around the neck rather than being a skin fold issue I often found them to be a collar issue. That is minimize wearing a collar increase air surculation and the collar tend to trap dirt/debris that bacteria and yeast feed on remove the collar when the dog is in the house and often time the problem goes away. I also had a basset with metal sensitivity. its skin would react to the metal buckle or even a metal tag hanging from a collar. Plastic buckles were fine.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Good advice, Mikey. He hasn't had any skin problems, but I'll start taking Boomer's collar off more in the house just so he can air out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts