Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother took her dogs to the vet last week and she picked up a 5lb. bag of Hills Prescription T/D which is for tarter control. She only got it for treats as she heard from a friend that it was great for keeping tarter off the teeth because the dogs have to use their back teeth to crunch it. The peices are pretty big, about the size of a large gumball and smell wretched! Anyway, as I said, she bought them for treats and gave me a baggy full of them so I gave them to Shyla. She freaked! She absolutely loves them. I gave her a handful in her bowl and she gathered as much as she could in her mouth and carried them into the living room and ate them. But before eating them, she flips them up in the air and chases after them. It's really funny!
:D
Shyla has never been one to just eat dried food by itself - I have always had to mix in a packet of wet food. But she really loves this food and I am thinking about buying it for her as her regular food. Does anyone else have experience with this brand?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I like the brand I use their cat food. But I have never heard of the tarter control. If it works I will look into it because Oliver is going to have to have his teeth cleaned because of bad breath (waiting for tax return). Will be interested in finding out more.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Someone from the posting recently suggested diluting some mouthwash with water. Using paper towel or napkins dipped in it and kinda brush it thru their teeth.

I tried this method. It works great!!! My hounds have a pretty fresh breath. :D

A

·
0 Posts
Our vet recommended Hills Prescription T/D for treats to help clean Bubba's teeth. . He loved them and they were his favorite treat. Just adjust accordingly to food intake so you don't pack on the pounds. We also brushed his teeth and we were able to avoid having him put to sleep for teeth cleaning.
Now Bogie is munching on them as well, and they are his preferred treat. We also use the finger cot rubber tooth brush with tiny finger like bristles, and C.E.T. enzymatic dog toothpaste from the vet's office. We brush his teeth at least every other day. No doggie breath and his teeth are staying sparkling white.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
We've had good experience with this food too. It was suggested by our vet for Cooter, as he has alot of tarter, and will need a dental cleaning some time soon. It's too expensive for me to FEED, because Leroy would have to eat it too (he wouldn't be able to stand it if Cooter got something that he didn't, LOL!). But I use it for treats, and Cooter LOVES it. Leroy could really care less, but then again, he really doesn't need it (he's got good teeth and an expanding waist line anyway!).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Oliver gets regular teeth brushing and chews to help with the tarter. Evidently not enough, I hate the thought of him having to go down for the cleaning but really can't live with the breath smells, it is horrible. He doesn't stink otherwise and only gets a bath once every couple of months but you know he's there once he opens his mouth, he is definately not able to sneak up on us. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts