Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was outside this afternoon putting away the recycling bins and Molly was in the house. Hearing me, she started whining, then suddenly a big ARRROOOO! My baby found her howl!! What a sound :rolleyes:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Awww... lucky you... how nice is that?!!

I wish my two would howl - our previous Bassets have but we've never heard Lucie and Lottie and they're 2yrs 6mths old!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yay for howlings!!! I've been howling at Virga to see if she'd copy me but no luck yet. She almost does it when she's in her kennel and she hears us moving around. Almost but not quite.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all! Molly is not one to bark, unless she is playing (or being told no, then her sassy side comes out). She doesn't even bark when the doorbell rings. So I doubt I'll hear much of the howling. Famous last words, right? It was good to hear her do it though. I didn't know she had it in her!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Never give up! A few months ago I moved my answering machine into the living room, where Lightning can now hear it. At 12 years old, he started howling along to my outgoing message. The only time he'd ever howled before was if Stomps started it. But Stomps has been gone for a year and a half now, and I despaired of ever hearing the sound again. So now I screen all my calls just to hear Lightning howl.

·
Registered
165 Posts
We've been howling for Fergus in hopes that he'll copy us. So excited for you! What fun!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been howling like a fool at Molly and so has my husband, but to no avail. I guess they howl when they are darn well ready...just like everything else they do :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I miss that sound. The baby had a little baby howl a few times but I have yet to hear a true howl from any of our hounds.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I got a real howl out of Boomer this morning! He woke up from his morning nap and started barking at me, so I howled at him, and next thing you know, he howled right along! It was awesome, I was so tickled that I started laughing and hugged him.

Also, do their voices deepen as they get older? His howl was a little more higher pitched altho his bark is a little deep.

·
Registered
973 Posts
It's funny you mention that because I heard Anabelle howl for the first time the other night that wasn't while she was sleeping. We were giving her antibiotics that increase her thirst and she had ran out of water in the middle of the night. When we ignored her crying she started ARRROOOOO'ing at us.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I got a real howl out of Boomer this morning! He woke up from his morning nap and started barking at me, so I howled at him, and next thing you know, he howled right along! It was awesome, I was so tickled that I started laughing and hugged him.

Also, do their voices deepen as they get older? His howl was a little more higher pitched altho his bark is a little deep.
Yay, Boomah! sounds like your Ma wants u to live up to ur name... haha, this is how i picture u howling :huh:

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
His howl was a little more higher pitched altho his bark is a little deep.
Toughy's howl was always higher ptiched than his bark and I did not notice any change in it as he got older. On a sad note every mentions what a bewtiful sound it is. fischer the harrier has a lovely howl Toughy sounded more like he was strangling a chicken Arhoooertereeeer painful to listen to, painful. None of my females have howled that I have heard.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Oh how fun – lucky you!!!! There is no better sound in the world.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Toughy's howl was always higher ptiched than his bark and I did not notice any change in it as he got older. On a sad note every mentions what a bewtiful sound it is. fischer the harrier has a lovely howl Toughy sounded more like he was strangling a chicken Arhoooertereeeer painful to listen to, painful. None of my females have howled that I have heard.

Strangling a chicken, ROFL!

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Strangling a chicken, ROFL!

I know same here – I didn’t catch that till after I posted. It’s been so long ago since Flash first howled – I forgot – she scared herself and jumped back a few feet – with a look of what was THAT???

1 - 20 of 43 Posts