Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to our local shelter today and I couldn't believe what I saw! TWO bassets up for adoption. It wouldn't be so strange if the city was over run with them but bassets are VERY VERY rare around here. Heck I searched forever before adopting my mutt for a basset. There were none. I asked the receptionist and she told me there were 4 this month only!

You should have seen the beautiful little girl I saw... awwww...

I know I said no more bassets for me but... well...they are just so darn cute. Luckily for me I'm not allowed more than 2 dogs because I'm sure I'd have another by now and the neighbours would shoot me (I got a calling card from the shelter on my "very loud" dogs) grrrrrrrrrrrrr darn neighbours!

Anyone know of someone looking for a little 8 month old cutie?

Lou

PS: Hope I posted this in the right place??

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
"I went to our local shelter today and I couldn't believe what I saw! TWO bassets up for adoption. It wouldn't be so strange if the city was over run with them but bassets are VERY VERY rare around here. Heck I searched forever before adopting my mutt for a basset. There were none. I asked the receptionist and she told me there were 4 this month only!"

If I'm not mistaken, bassets are at the very top of the list for breeds relinguished to shelters-someone else may have some statistics on this.

Murray and I are out in the public arena alot with our pet therapy organization (educational programs in schools, for Boy Scouts, manning tables at rescue events, etc.). When someone starts gushing over him and tells me "Oh, he's so CUTE- I'm getting a basset"- I have a little speech prepared about doing some research into the breed first.

Too many people get a basset because they think they're cute, and are totally unprepared for, and unwilling, to deal with the down-side of the breed: slow to mature,stubborn;possibly noisy, heavy shedders and difficult to train;slow to housebreak; need for regular maintenance of ears and nails; allergy related skin problems, etc.
For someone willing to work with these issues the rewards are huge- bassets are a truly special breed. It always breaks my heart to see these great dogs in shelters.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Lou, just as thought, but isn't there a basset hound rescue you could alert to this situation? Just makes you sick to hear of this. :(

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only basset rescue near by is in Ontario. I've contacted them before but never got a reply so I guess they aren't interested *sigh*. Sadeyes2 you should see this little lady she's so darn cute!

Lou

1 - 4 of 4 Posts