Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some advice. I've started a new job and for the first month I'm working from home and then I start going into work at an office in April. I've found a dog day care near my office - so I think that will work well. I just don't know what to do until then. Maggie's training was coming along pretty well, she was having an accident inside about once a week - but usually we were probably at fault.

I started work on Thursday and in the afternoon I tried to shut her into my office with me (my husband watched her for the morning - but he is away for the rest of the month). She immediately scratched at the door to get out and then turned around an peed on the carpet. I can shut her into her kennel or fence her off in the kitchen when I go out - but if she knows I'm here she cries and cries.

I had good luck on Friday because I worked around her sleeping schedule (6:30 - 8:30 she sleeps so I worked, fed her at 8:30, walked, then she slept by my feet till about noon then I did some more work in the afternoon). But just this morning I started working at 6:30, heard her moving from the chair she sleeps in downstairs so I went down and opened the door to see if she needed to go out -she made no move for it, so I thought I woudl go upstairs to work and she would follow - she follows me up stairs and squats and pees in my office.

I"m trying to make a good impression by completing a lot in my first month, but I find it so hard to work at home!

Help!
Missjoy and Maggie (who is downstairs crying in her crate now)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, I don't think that would work because if I put her in her crate when she can see me she barks and barks. What I've decided to do is gate off the kitchen and work a schedule where I work for 2.5 hours - walk her for an hour - work 2.5 hours - walk her for an hour - then work the final 2.5 hours before finishing for the day and releasing her from the kitchen.

She cries a bit when I put her in there, but she stops after about 10 minutes. I think she'll get used to it and I don't feel too guilty (because she has space to roam).

Thanks!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I don't think that would work because if I put her in her crate when she can see me she barks and barks. What I've decided to do is gate off the kitchen and work a schedule where I work for 2.5 hours - walk her for an hour - work 2.5 hours - walk her for an hour - then work the final 2.5 hours before finishing for the day and releasing her from the kitchen.

She cries a bit when I put her in there, but she stops after about 10 minutes. I think she'll get used to it and I don't feel too guilty (because she has space to roam).

Thanks![/b]

She'd probably be fine with 1/2 as many walks, but being in the same room with you. Let her out of the crate and provide a nice comfy bed near your desk. Give her some chew bones and Kongs. It might take a few days, but in the long run, you'll be eliminating the circus of walking one hour every 2 1/2 hours. You'd be surprised (pleasantly) how they manage to "fit into your day". Most bassets just want to be with you , whether they are getting 100% of your attention or not. :) We did this, and E & B would sleep through even the craziest days at our office, then we would have lots of fun when we went home, walking and playing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oh yes!! She really just wants to be in the same room with you...Every day might be a little different according to the way she feels, but I'm sure you're going to do just fine--just have to get through this month. I know you must have had a hard time concentrating on the job-- with the crying you've had to endure! Day by day--you can make it! Don't make her have to be all by herself in the kitchen.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try being a bit looser with my schedule to keep Maggie with me. This morning she slept on the couch while I did some work, then I had to confine her to the kitchen while I went to a meeting (however, she is getting good at being in the kitchen with her toys and her bed and not her kennel, which is nice). When I came home she came up to my office and chewed on toys for a while and this afternoon she is sleeping on my feet in the sun. I might have to try a variety of methods - but it is only one month.

My hubby is in a job where he works for a chunk of time (two weeks) and then is home for two weeks, I'm thinking of taking Maggie to a doggie day care close to my office the times when my husband is working, it is $18 dollars a day, but I think it is worth it (especially since I don't have kids). Does anyone else take their dog to day care? Maggie loves being around other dogs so much it would make me feel good knowing she is having fun.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try being a bit looser with my schedule to keep Maggie with me. This morning she slept on the couch while I did some work, then I had to confine her to the kitchen while I went to a meeting (however, she is getting good at being in the kitchen with her toys and her bed and not her kennel, which is nice). When I came home she came up to my office and chewed on toys for a while and this afternoon she is sleeping on my feet in the sun. I might have to try a variety of methods - but it is only one month.

My hubby is in a job where he works for a chunk of time (two weeks) and then is home for two weeks, I'm thinking of taking Maggie to a doggie day care close to my office the times when my husband is working, it is $18 dollars a day, but I think it is worth it (especially since I don't have kids). Does anyone else take their dog to day care? Maggie loves being around other dogs so much it would make me feel good knowing she is having fun.[/b]
You can always try "doggie day care" --they're individual--meaning some might be good. I haven't used the one here because I don't want Bianca picking up any habits that might be bad--or anything else for that matter. We have somebody called "Ain't Misbehavin'" that comes in to feed your dog and spends time with her/him for about the same price. I'd like to hear what everyone has to say about this topic as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input, I didn't think about her picking up bad habits. I would be taking her to doggie day care when I start working in my offices which are a bit of a commute from the small town I live in.

For me I can't seem to find any service that would come and walk her during the day, as I said, it's a small town. I would also be gone for close to 9.5 hours because of the commute. I feel that doggie day care would keep her from getting bored - but I would love to hear any experiences.

Melissa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts