Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: :mad: :mad: I was walking down the pedestrium at GSU and saw someone hammering a sign down that said "Puppies free to a good home." I exploded. Now don't get me wrong, it takes a lot for me to get mad, but that is one of my biggest pet peeves. I've seen to many bassets abused, neglected, and left on the side of the road because of signs like that. There are just so many problems with those that cause/ lead to animal abuse. I wrote an entire college paper on animal abuse and that is one of the main focal points of it.

First off that makes it far to easy for some one to get an animal, there is no way to prove that the home is good, the people just want to get rid of the puppies. Also the free part means that there is no way to prove the ability or willingness to be financially responsible for a dog.

I'm not saying I have all the answers, and I'm not sure what people should do with their puppies that they don't want, possibly turn them over to a rescue, but there must be better solutions than those signs.

T

·
0 Posts
No problem here. I agree with ya, and sometimes wonder just how many of those signs the same people have posted over time.

Janet 'n Twinkie

A

·
0 Posts
Was it your college paper that you finally "did it"? I agree with you re: giving away puppies and just wish there was a better way to educate the general public to the consequences.

A

·
0 Posts
Yes I agree with you too. I was unaware of this until I contacted some rescue groups several years ago. I thought giving away puppies was nice, but it really isn't. A lot of people take these free animals and just abuse them. It shocked me because I never thought someone would even think of doing somehting harmful.

Maybe those people were like me just didn't know people could be cruel to animals.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Louise:
I also agree but I must add that people will pay a fortune for their dogs and STILL abuse them   :(  

Lou
Yes I know that, BHRG had at least one case (one we've fostered) of a dog that someone paid $1000 at a puppy mill for, and the dog was neglected and has had some genetical problems, but was just as cute as could be. She has a good home now I'm happy to say

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Spaying and neutering is the most effective way to prevent throwaway litters. *sigh*

Thanks for taking up the cause, Joshua. :)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Shortly after we moved to NM we discovered that a lab had set up business in the area and was taking "free" puppies/dogs for experiments. They would also answer the Found ads for the same purpose. Lukcily they were shut down, but I'm sure the practice continues elsewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts