Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

This is my first post! I just got a Basset Puppy from a local pet store (people who breed dogs in the area take the pups there to sell, its not a puppy mill or anything like that.) I was at the store getting food for my boyfriends snakes :eek: and I saw her and just had to have her! :wub: It was a total impulse buy! We already have 2 other dogs (a 4 year old female MinPin and a 1 year old male Queensland Mix) Bailey (my Basset) looks just like my MinPin (Mika) in coloration, is that normal? I have been searching for Bassets on-line that look like my little Bailey and I can't find any! She is black and tan with the same markings as Mika. The only difference is she is 12 weeks old and weighs more than Mika, the giant ears, stubby legs and as I like to call them shovel feet ;) She goes to work with me since she she has to go potty every few hours and people always think she is an adult weiner dog! Has anyone seen a black and tan Basset? Is 14 lbs to big for a 12 week old pup? Anyone have people mistake your pup for a weiner dog? When I got her about 2 weeks ago she went to the vet and got a clean bill of health, I thought she was under weight (10.7 lbs) but the vet said she was perfect, does her weight seem on track?

Thanks for the help,

Temmers

·
Registered
103 Posts
How adorable! She is sooo cute!

Ella is on the small side of bassetdom and I think she is mixed with a beagle or something but at 13 weeks she was 17 lbs. She is now a little over a year and weights about 35ish maybe a little more, haven't weighed her recently.

I personally haven't ever seen a basset with her coloring but I'm no expert, I'm going off of dog park experience :) I have seen basset mixes with her coloring, maybe she has a little bit of something mixed in her?

When Ella was a puppy people did ask me if I had weiner dog, they said that or a beagle, never a basset :)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I always got, "Is that a beagle?". When I would tell kids no, he's a basset, I would get a blank stare.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, I have seen the B&T's.

Eureka Bassets has one that was named best puppy at the 2010 AHBA World Championship.

Here is some pics:

Winnifred

I was recently at a Basset Field Trial and someone had one colored up like that one too..........From talking with the fellows, there were a few out of that litter that were B&T.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you that makes me feel better :) I did some research and saw that any hound color was acceptable but I just wanted to physically see one in her color. I think the weiner dog comments were starting to get to me.

·
Registered
761 Posts
My two get called weiner dogs all the time. Doppler looks nothing like a beagle so he doesn't get called a beagle. But Virga gets either beagle or weiner dog all the time. But I've never seen a black and tan basset hound. You have a very unique and handsome boy! Congratulations!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I would be careful buying into the idea that it's local good breeders sending puppies to a pet store. I have never met a good breeder that had any desire to sell a puppy in a pet store. Pet stores do just about everything they can to not admit they're puppy mill puppies. They have to in order to make money.

Also, they could very well come from back yard breeders, people breeding strictly to make money with very little regard to the long term result or health of the dogs. I imagine the respectable basset breeders here on the site would agree that they have no need or desire to send their puppies to a store.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Yes... seen that color before! We have some members with bassets that are the black and tan... very distinctive! My husband only allows red & whites in our house so I must admire from afar... but think the darker colors are really nice!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Black and tan are not uncommon.When bassets are puppies they do look a lot like the "Weiner"dogs,but once they grow up they look a whole lot less like them. Did you get any kind of papers with your puppy ,registration papers,there should be something that gives you the breeders name and possibly address on and you can see where they come from.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I imagine the respectable basset breeders here on the site would agree that they have no need or desire to send their puppies to a store.

You imagine correctly. A good breeder would never sell a puppy through a pet store or other third party, because they want to check out potential owners themselves (among other reasons). Pet stores are strictly a medium for commercial breeders, BYBs and puppymills.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I live in a small town and the area is very spread out so the local pet store is where everyone goes to get pups. They tell you the breeder name and you can go see the parents. They are more of a middle man... Also the town vet recommends getting animals there because she does all the checkup and knows the breeders and the litters, your first checkup and shots are free at the vet as well.

I do have her papers she is from a town 45 miles away from me (where the pet store is) Aussies, Labs, and Great Pyrenees are the only pure bred dogs I have seen there prior to this litter of Bassets (we go once a week for snake food) the rest are cute adorable mutts.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah according to the BHCA rules no reputable breeder would be allowed to sell to any retail store (such as this pet store). Good luck with your puppy and I hope it live a healthy life but I can tell you no reputable breeder sells their puppies that way reguardless of how far off they live.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yeah according to the BHCA rules no reputable breeder would be allowed to sell to any retail store (such as this pet store). Good luck with your puppy and I hope it live a healthy life but I can tell you no reputable breeder sells their puppies that way reguardless of how far off they live.
Indeed. I am glad you pointed that out. I believe the specific rule would be this:
Members should not undertake the breeding, of a bitch unless they are prepared to act responsibly regarding the disposition of the resultant puppies. Members shall be discriminating in the placing of puppies and adult hounds, choosing environments in which the Basset Hound will receive suitable care and affection and will not be misused.
From Code of Conduct

To clarify, I am not being judgmental or anything like that, I am just trying to share my opinion based on my past experience dealing with pet stores and understanding how they do business.

Just because it is not a puppy mill does not mean it's an acceptable breeder. Puppy mills are definitely an overwhelming problem, but breeders that don't take the time to screen their adopters are also part of that problem. If they are not willing to take personal responsibility for the fate of their puppies, then I seriously doubt their willingness to take responsibility for the health of those puppies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just found this board while searching for black and tan bassets! My Seymour's head totally looks like black and tan coonhound, but he has plenty of white on him as well. The SPCA picked him up, then we got him through Golden Gate Basset Rescue, so I who knows what else he has besides basset in him.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts