Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon, Sadie & Spencer had a nap on my bed. After they got up, I found a fully engorged tick on my bed. I could not believe it. We have had a mild winter, but it has been below freezing several times. However, obviously not long enough to kill all these suckers. Now, my concern is that Sadie & Spencer have been off their flea & tick prevention since about November. I intend to call the vet on Monday, but in the meantime, thought I'd ask what you all think. Ticks are not common in my area, and I have not found a tick on either of them in years, even in the warm weather. Do you think I should re-start their flea/tick prevention now? I still have some left.

T

·
0 Posts
Amy, I'm thinking if you have some of those meds left, restarting them couldn't hurt. I think it would be safe to wait until you call the vet on Monday, though.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Murray and I both were bitten by Lyme ticks last December(2004). I woke up a few days before Christmas with a bullseye rash on my upper torso, was tested, and had positive results. I had Murray tested, and he tested positive also. So we both took doxicycline for a few weeks.It was warm last December and I wasn't as careful as I would normally be out on the State Gamelands. It really shook me up.So yes, if you're seeing live ticks, get them on Frontline or whatever, because those suckers(literally!) don't look at calendars.

[ February 19, 2006, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: murraysmom ]

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Cold weather doesn't kill ticks. :mad:

Apparently they hibernate. :mad:

Everyone here has been finding them on themselves. My sister took her cat to the vet the other day and walked out with a tick on her ear. !

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're right, Biscuit. I did some research after finding the tick. According to what I read on the net, they can go all winter without a blood meal & wake up in the spring, ready to go. It has never been much of a concern, as in the 11 years I have had Sadie & Spencer, I think I have only found a total of 3 ticks. This is the 4th. I guess the best thing to do is to keep them on the flea/tick prevention year-round.

Murraysmom, whas Murray showing any symptoms?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
No, Murray wasn't showing any symptoms- I had him tested because I tested positive, and I figured since he was hiking with me through the same places he might have been bitten too. The one thing the doctor said that really shook me up was: "you're lucky you got a rash- some people don't". Pennsylvania's white tail deer population is out of control in some areas, and we're near the top of the list for reported cases of Lyme.

A

·
0 Posts
Ruby gets her heartguard and frontline once a month without fail. Had to when we lived in Bassetchusetts and we've continued.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Lessons learned today:
1. Don't read the board while eating lunch. :p
2. Keep an eye out for ticks even in winter.

I haven't found a tick on a dog for years, even though we have tons of trees in our yard, but I'll keep looking, just in case.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry Valerie! ;)

I talked to the vet. She was shocked when I told her what I found. She said she thought it was probably a fluke, as they had never had this reported before. She did not seem concerned & said not to worry about using Frontline during the winter. Our area is not bad for ticks & supposedly less than 1% of them carry any disease. After thinking about it, I decided not to re-start Frontline yet. What concerns me about that, is that it is an insecticide & I hate to use it anymore than necessary. I was talking to some co-workers, & one of them pulled a flea off her dog last week. I hope this is not an indication of a bad bug summer coming!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts