Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You have a 10 month old puppy who is not getting any attention except bad attention and he is willing to settle for that. A dog that is not incorperated into a family is doomed for failure. He is exceited to see everyone,anyone,who will acknowledge him ,good or bad. You should have started him a crate when he first came home.(hindsight) Now,you are dealing with two toddlers. I don't think too many of us is feeling as much sympathy for you as we feel for the puppy because with a little knowledge you could have avoided the whole situation you are in now, by deceiding not to get a puppy at this time or taking the time to spend with him and train him. Whatever he is doing is not his fault. Have you asked the breeder to take him back, somehow I suspect he didn't come from a breeder because a breeder with any sense at all would have been able to tell you were not ready for a dog. Don't trade this one in on another breed because the same thing will happen and you will wonder why all the dogs you pick are boneheads. Turn him into a rescue and count this as a lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You don't need to worry if you teach him manners. Dogs need to be taught he doesn't learn this stuff on his own. If you get him a crate you can put him in there at meal time and at night. Problem solved. He may cause a ruckus at first but with patience on your part he will learn to like his crate. Teach him what you want him to do just like you need to teach your toddler. He will most likely sleep a little longer being in the house. I'm sorry I was so tough on you but you can not expect him to know what you want him to do unless you teach him. Bassets love kids with food,doesn't that make sense to you? Because they are food oriented and just the right size to snatch anything away from a child. Put him in the crate when your toddler has food down from the table. The crate can be a very useful tool just don't keep him in it for extremely long periods of time or the bad behavior will start again. Use it to teach him .

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Ignoring the behavior,hows that working for you? The cause is you are not teaching him what you want only trying to let him know what you don't want. He doesn't understand what you want from him,he is just being a puppy doing what puppies do but he needs to understand that you don't want him to do something. Having him outside even at night is lonely for him if you put him in a crate and he fusses you can tell him,"No". At first he will not know what that means so the next time he fusses tell him,"No",(gruffly not loudly he isn't deaf)then have something ready to enforce your command like a squirt bottle with water. When you give the command and he doesn't listen give him a squirt of water and repeat your command.He will start to connect that if he stops fussing he doesn't get squirted. This is only an example,you can use a can of rocks or pennies ,something that gets his attention when he doesn't listen. Having him with you all the time is great but are you teaching him anything while he is with you. Teach him to sit ,teach him you don't want him to jump. There many training sites on the internet to help you teach him what you want, he isn't going to guess.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
A crate is a not the igloo it is a container with a door. They come in many sizes, a wire kennel/crate is square with a door. Like a little den for him. Any pet supply place should carry them.Taking him to training school is great,you will learn how to teach him. I admire that you are not ready to give up. I was fostering a rescue once named"Rocky". Rocky was 2 years old, he would get on the end tables and lamp stand,knocking things over,he thought if I had food it was his and he would just bulldoze me to get what he wanted. No wonder this guy was in rescue since he was less than a year old, everyone else had just given up on him,no one took the time to teach him manners he had to raise himself. It took time but he responded, he got to know what I expected of him.He wasn't perfect when he went to his new home but he was a lot better than when I got him. This isn't going to happen over night but you will see differences eventually. He is still a puppy probably with the attention span of someone with Attention Deficit Disorder like me.:rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts