Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Our basset is also 10 months old, so I know exactly where you are coming from! We are away from home all day during the week and our dogs are in the yard during good weather, when we get home we have a good 15 minutes of doggie greeting time as they are all excited to see us. We let them in and spend some time jumping around and wrestling until they've gotten the excitement out of their system.

When Cannoli, our basset, gets rambunctious I tell my daughter "time for a run!". She gets on her bike, takes Cannoli's leash in hand and runs her up and down the street a few times. Cannoli LOVES this. You even look at the leashes and she is so excited. After a good run 'Noli usually comes in, flops down and is chill.

She is noisy, and rambunctious, and a big ole dog who thinks she is the same size as our 10lb Chihuahua. It is challenging sometimes but I have gotten some really great ideas from this board to help us. I hope your family finds the right solution.

·
Registered
774 Posts
A note on the begging at the table issue - We saw right away the infamous "counter surfing" behavior with our BBB (big beautiful basset), so we made a firm rule that no handouts from the table ever. This was an adjustment for us as we have a couple chihuahua mixes that we had spoiled and regularly gave handouts to. It took a bit of patience but eventually the BBB has figured out that she doesn't get food from the table. Now when we eat she lays on an ottoman in the livingroom and looks at us mournfully, but she knows we won't give her anything so she doesn't jump up. If you leave food on the table and walk away all bets are off, and that from the sounds of things is something we will always have to remember. Bassets are ruled by their stomachs! PS. This has been good for the other two pooches as well, one of them now just lays under the table but my dog Kiko dances around on her hind legs for the whole meal. She's not ready to give up yet.

Also, I know everyone is split on this issue, but I really couldn't imagine not having our dogs sleeping with us. The BBB is my daughters dog, so everynight she says "C'mon Cannoli, bedtime!" and Cannoli heads for the bedroom. She has a dog bed beside her bed but usually when I poke my head in there in the morning to take the dogs out the BBB comes out from under the covers. Our other two dogs sleep in my bed. I know it's not for everyone, but I'm just giving you a snapshot of our lifestyle.

·
Registered
774 Posts
This thread has gotten very emotional, for better or worse it does show one thing - We LOVE our dogs. I have enjoyed seeing the range of ways people have pets in their lives, from people (like us) who have dogs on their beds and furniture to people who keep a more firm line between pets and people.

I suppose it's like breastfeeding and natural child birth, everyone has vehement opinions on it but the end result is there are lots of healthy and happy kids handled both ways. Personally my dogs would think they were being killed if we kicked them off the bed or couches, but that's because that is the way my house works. I expect there are plenty of happy pooches in much different family arrangements.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts