Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this recipe recently and decided to try it today. R & S were hanging in the kitchen sniffing away.
*** I must admit, I forgot to poke the dough with a fork so mine are thicker than they should be. Also I used a bone shaped cookie cutter. Hope they like them. They're cooling now.

Veggie Dog Cookies
Makes about 1 lb (500 g) of cookies
- Preheat oven to 35 F (180 C)
- Nonstick baking sheets - Food processor
- Rolling pin - Pizza cutter
4 cups whole wheat flour 1 L
1 tsp dried basil leaves 5 mL
1 tsp dried cilantro leaves 5 mL
1 tsp dried oregano leaves 5 mL
3/4 cup water 175 mL
2/3 cup chopped carrot 150 mL
1/4 cup cut (1/2 inch/1 cm) fresh green beans, 50 mL
2 tbsp tomato paste 25 mL
2 tbsp canola oil 25 mL
1 clove garlic

1. In a large bowl, combine flour, basil, cilantro and oregano. In a food processor, combine water, carrot, green beans, tomato paste, oil and garlic. Puree until smooth. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well.
2. In the bowl and using hands, knead until dough holds together. Transfer to lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to about 1/8-inch (3 mm) thickness.
3. With a fork, poke holes all over the surface of the dough. Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut dough into bite-size rectangles or squares. Place about 1/2 inch (1 cm) apart on baking sheets.
4. Bake in preheated oven, in batches if necessary, for 20 minutes or until firm. Place pans on racks and let cool completely. Reduce oven temperature to 300 F (150 C). Bake for 30 minutes longer or until hard. Transfer cookies to a rack and let cool completely. Store in a tightly sealed container for up to 30 days.

Variation
- Low-Fat Veggie Cookies: For a lower-fat version of this cookie recipe, replace the canola oil with 2 tbsp (25 mL) of additional water.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Boy they look great and sound delicious. I can't wait the hear what the furry taste testers think!!:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts