Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about ready to cry!!!!! the search for another basset is just driving me crazy. It seems like we are always a day late or get ignored. we have called on a few in shelters and they have been already gone by the time we get a hold of somene (they don't seem to answer thier phones to often) or our experiences with the rescues have been we find a dog we are interested in we call or email we get an answer then need to fill out an application and we do that and then get ignored and never hear from them, they don't answer my emails either. we take very good care of Ryboi like i said before we went to the vet jsut last week and were told that he is the healthiest basset they have seen in a long time. he has a great bed to sleep in toys to play with we clean his ears regularly and brush his teeth. I work only part time so he is not home alone all day and we just love him to death i don't know what the problem is.
we found a 9 month. female named sara we were interseted in and submitted an application(which would be the second with this rescue) and now she is no longer on thier sight and no word from them as to why like if someone else got her already or what.
maybe we just arn't suppose to get another one but poor Ryboi sure looks like he would love to have someone to play with.
what i am really hoping is by getting frusterated and sounding off to all of you something will come up. And i would have sounded off for nothing, that is my hope/.
thanks for letting me just vent!!!!!!!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm sorry you having such a hard time! I'm sure Ryboi would love a buddy! Have you tried contacting Sylvie with Seattle Purebreed Rescue? Here is a link: Seattle Purebreed Rescue

I think she may also be the contact with the East Washington Basset Rescue. Alexa Paul is the contact with the West Washington Basset Rescue.

I know when we were looking for a dog through PAWS that many dogs were spoken for before they ever got onto Petfinder. I think if you fill out an application with them and put down Basset Hound, they will call you before they ever post the dog on the internet.

Don't give up! The perfect Basset is waiting for you.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
westernwashington basset rescue doesn't have any available right now that fits our needs( I think they only have 3 on thier sight right now) and easternwashington have some cute ones but that is a 6 hour drive one way and right now we can't do that but they do have some cute ones i would love to but my husband isn't up to the drive right now. and besides they are one of the ones that are ignoring us. i have cascadia basset rescue but that is the one we called on the one female and haven't heard anything back yet.
but will try seattle purebreads and see what they have.
thanks for the info and encouragement

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi! Just looked on the Kitsap County Humane Society website and they have a basset, named Diesel, who has been given up by his owner. The number is 360-692-6977. If I knew how to send you the link I would but they are on the web if you want to look at him. He looks like a sweetie!

Lynne & Huck

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I share your frustration!!

We got Elvis about 4 months ago and are looking for a second basset. How can someone not fall instantly in love with them??!??

Our local rescue has several, but they don't fit our criteria so we keep waiting. And waiting. And waiting.

I hope one of the rescue organizations or shelters comes through for you. The only thing that ever amazes me is how someone can get a basset and not instantly becomes it's devoted slave forever and always.

But I guess we all get lucky when we find or perfect pets that someone else considers disposable. We sure get the best end of the deal.

I'll be praying for your perfect basset to find you & Ryboi. I'll bet it's worth the wait.

Elvis & his human. OR is that slave?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm so sorry you're having such an awful time of it. I don't have any advice, just sympathy. I know some rescue organizations act like they'd rather keep the dogs than let anyone else have them, no matter how wonderful the home. I've looked into a few myself, and there's no way we could pass the screening process, never mind that George is loved and petted and spoiled and catered to every day of his life and I've never been without a dog all of my life. I KNOW how to take care of a dog and let him or her boss me around.
But keep at it, and sooner or later, you're sure to find a basset who will be so glad to go home with you.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the screen process can be pretty intense. I do understand that they want to make sure the dogs have great homes, but I doubt we'd pass the screening process either. Which is unfortunate because there are a lot of very sincere people that would love have a wonderful dog to love. But, I do understand that they want to be extra,extra careful.
Don't give up...I'm sure you'll find your next baby.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hang in there. I waited a long time for the perfect Basset(for me). Lo and behold, one day North Texas Basset Rescue called me and said they had him. Max came into my life a year or so ago on Feb, 27th. It was love at first sight. He is pretty much my constant companion. The right Basset will come along. I cannot say enough good things about N. Texas Basset Rescue.

MikeM and Max

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the encouragement. we finally did hear from the one after bothering them and they said we are on the top of the list for the 9mon. and they also have a few younger ones if she ddidn't work so that at least is one step closer but don't know if they have looked at my app. I think the only thing they might question is that we rent but we are the managers too(we manage all of the owners properties including ours) and he doesn't want to be bothered with anything so hope that doesn't mean they will turn us down for that because it might sound fishy to some, but we have all the deposit slips to prove we are the ones that deposit the money and we pay for all the repairs on the house.
we will see will keep you informed.
thanks again for the encouragement and good luck to all of youlooking to. you are right so many good people get turned down because we don't fit into thier idea of the best home but they do have the dogs best intrestin mind i guess. :)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Hey, we rent and we were approved by Basset Hound Rescue of Alabama. So, I know that some of the rescues are lenient on that issue. Good luck in your search--you may also want to keep an eye on Petfinder. They often have bassets available, and you might find one closer to you.

www.petfinder.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
PLEASE try Pat over on the East side of WA. state.(Spokane area...she will travel !) She has 5 fosters right now that are looking for their forever homes. I don't have her contact off the top of my head, but I DO have a contact that does. Please email Tammara, at [email protected] , and she will put you in touch with Pat, who is a real jewel. Best of luck !...I've been where you are and believe me, when the right one comes along, he/she will just fall into your lap !!

·
Registered
23 Posts
BTW, Cindy & Raymond...YES YES YES !! Basset Rescue of Alabama is by FAR the best rescue I have found and would recommend Helen Hocking to anyone !! Might I ask, though, why you decided to go with Ala. instead of GA.?? I'm sure the reasons won't surprise me !!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The reason we went with Alabama was, they were a lot more considerate that, at the time, we didn't have a fenced yard!!!!!

I agree--BHRA is a fabulous organization, and all the people working within it are the greatest!!!

[ April 24, 2005, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Cindy, Raymond, Fredder, & Buford ]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thankyou dcc11 for the info on the cascadia adoption but we have submitted an application with them on a young dog named sara and we haven't heard anything, we did get them to respond to one email saying they were going through application and we were on the top of the list but haven't heard since, maybe because of the pups they are just real busy but to leave people hanging just doesn't seem fair.
and have contacted eastern wash. basset rescue before and they said we would have to travel over there and that is a 12 hour round trip and my husband isn't up to that. I did like some of thier bassets that they had up for adoption but now they are all adoption pending so, now not sure where we turn. just I will keep looking.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I imagine that the Cascadia volunteers are stretched very thin right now, caring for the new litter. It sounds like the pups will require supplementation, if not outright hand-raising, given the malnourished status of their mother. I know it's frustrating not to hear, but I'm sure they're doing as much as they can with limited resources.

It probably wouldn't hurt to contact Cascadia periodically to remind them of your continued interest in adoption. Keep an eye on your local shelters, too. Sometimes, the dogs that need us most don't turn up on our schedules. :)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
BHRG (Basset Hound Rescue of Georgia) is a volunteer organization also. We try to make sure we answer every email and phone call sent to us. BUt all of us are (unpaid!) volunteers only, and have full-time "day jobs" as well - gotta pay for the kibble somehow! For instance, we have two "intake coordinators" - these are the people who get the calls from shelters, good samaritans, and people who want to give up their basset. Cathy - one of our two intake coordinators - says she gets up to 10 voice mail messages and *20* email messages a day, and those are just those messages that pertain *Solely* to trying to take in, transport, or rescue incoming bassets!!!!! I know that things slip through the cracks occasionally. If you dont' get a reply from your local rescue, please try again.

I will tell you that BHRG has a great adoption coordinator, named Lisa W., and she is usually really good about responding to people whent hey send in applications - we are of course interested in finding homes for all of our dogs! We have 17 right now that are being boarded at a local kennel, because who do not have enough foster homes to go around. Some rescues, when their foster homes are full, having to stop taking in new dogs, because they cannot afford the kenneling expense. BHRG has been lucky, so far, that we receive just enough in private donations and from fundraising that we are able to board the new bassets coming in. And even that is with ONLY taking in the dogs from kill shelters! Bassets who are at no-kill humane societies we just pretty much have to leave where they are, and hope that that humane societry finds a good home for them. We simply have no room for them. It's a horrible thing, believe me, to have to turn away a basset in danger of being put to sleep. We hope that at BHRG it will never have to come to that.

Also, as to the fence issue - some rescues just flat will not adopt to someone with no fence. They have made that rule a policy for a reason - usually because they had an adopter in the past with no fence, who swore they would never let the dog run loose, who then did, and the rescued/adopted dog ended up dead on a highway somewhere. I know that is disappointing to the responsible people with no fence who find themselves on the wrong end of that policy - but please try to remember that the group in question made that policy because they were sure it was in the best interests of the bassets they are rescuing.

I can only speak for BHRG on this topic, of course, but we used to turn away "unfenced hoems" routinely. Now, however, we take such applications on a case-by-case basis. Usually, these days, we will adopt to a unfenced home, even an apartment, as long as we are confident that the adoptive family knows and understands that the dog cannot be let outside "to roam", but must stay on leash.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts