Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 yr old male bassett (porkchop) and a 8 month old female (petunia) she is in heat for the first time and we don't want to breed her right off the bat....but the problem is that my male has gone CRAZY he is howling whining barking will not eat has lost lots of weight has diarrea...and will not listen to nothing we have tried to keep them apart but i have very close neighboors and if i put him outside for the night he is non stop vocalizing...please help me in what to do for the next time....and how long is this going to go on thank you

T

·
0 Posts
<Deep breath> No advice for this time. You're just going to have to keep them apart. Your female is waaaay to young to breed.

As for "next time" ... spay and neuter and there won't be a "next time." That's the absolute best advice I can give.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Are you intending to breed? I've not been in this situation, so maybe someone who breeds can chime in. Is there someone else that can take one of them that lives farther away than next door? I know when Lucy goes into season it lasts a while...like a month or so.

As for Porkchop...I wonder if the weight loss, ect is because Petunia is in season?

Good luck and be patient with them...they are only doing what's natural. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Well, hard to say how long he'll go on, but she'll be in season for about 3 weeks. His behavior is quite normal. I know people who simply board their male for the duration.

Bassets should not be bred under two years of age.

You may wish to read the older threads here on the subject.

A

·
0 Posts
You expect less from a teenager...
If you can't board him or have someone else watch him...Put him outside with a bark collar...He will learn to shut up..if you get a good collar.

They should be apart for at least 10 days after her discharge begins to clear or you can wait till she begins to flag...then seperate...cause if he tries to get her when she aint ready ...look out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts