Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I am new to the group. My baby's name is Sidney. He is 8.5 years old. Male neutered. For most of his life he has been pretty healthy. He is kind of small for a Bassett. He was the runt and is still about 80% of normal size. He was always pretty lively for a Bassett.

He was just diagnosed with hypothyroid. The vet I had always brought him to misdiagnosed him in October and said he had arthritis. He has steadily gone downhill since then. Last week the fur on his head started falling out. He is completly cold sensitive. Hangs out by all the heat sources in the house. I got his medical record and took him to a new vet. The only thing that confuses me is that he has lost weight since October and all I have read about hypothyroid says he should have gained weight.

Does anyone have any experience with this? (I know it in people but not dogs). Should I be looking further?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Roady's been treated for hypothyroidism for years and he wasn't overweight when diagnosed. I had another dog who was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when the hair grew back odd after several lumpectomies. He was never overweight and in fact at times was too thin. As in people, dogs don't always have all the classic signs of thyroid dysfunction. I remember a doctor telling me I couldn't be hyperthyroid because I had gained weight. He sure had to eat crow when he got the lab results.

If Sidney continues to lose weight and go down hill I'd certainly ask my vet about further testing.

Hope he improves on the thyroid supplement. Keep us posted.

[ December 31, 2004, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts