Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay well I think im starting to get Gracies itching under control with this new food she is on and supplements from the vet but im trying to find receipes for hypoallergenic treats. I feel bad that all the store brands can make her itch so i wanted to make something at home. Anyone have any recepies for me?? Its been hard finding them online. Thanks!! :D

Pensfan

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
If she has food allergies there is no such thing as "hypoallergenic treats". It is protein that dog and humans become allergic too. The ones they are exposed to the most. One can use the actual dog food one feeds as a treat or food sources that contain no protein, like carrots, fruit, etc

·
Registered
160 Posts
Im not sure about "hypoallergenic" but I just returned a dog food recipe book to the library. There were lots of dog food recipe books there so maybe you will have some luck finding something at the library. The one I got was called "Three Dog Bakery" and it had tons of different recipes for treats.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I recently attended an event to meet other bassets and their owners. One person was feeding their bassets fresh carrots. I thought that was pretty cool and wondered why that isn't something people generally know about.............I guess b/c if everyone fed their pets health fresh food all the companies that make dog treats would be out of business. Next basset I own, is going to get carrots for treats!

·
Registered
297 Posts
If she has food allergies there is no such thing as "hypoallergenic treats". It is protein that dog and humans become allergic too. The ones they are exposed to the most. One can use the actual dog food one feeds as a treat or food sources that contain no protein, like carrots, fruit, etc
That's not always true... dogs just like people can be allergic to a list of different things. If it's a food based allergy the two top allergens I've heard of are corn and wheat as they are used as fillers in most lower end foods (such as foods carried in grociery stores). Try switching to a food or treat with no corn or wheat and especially look for any sort of gluten. The glutens are the ones that caused all the recalls with the melamine in the last several years. There have also been recalls due to mold in the wheat as well.

There is a great lady who runs a dog and cat food analysis website called Petsumer report who does reviews of lots of different brands of food. It's an excellent resource. Getting rid of all protien from your dogs diet is a little drastic I think... that's what a dog was meant to eat... you just need to have the right sorts of protein without all the fillers that they can't digest and yes it is also possible that your dog may be allergic to some kinds of protiens. Only a vet that specializes in allergies would be able to tell you that though. Unfortunately for most vets, nutrition isn't high on their list of interests as it's to their benefit to recommend a poor diet as that poor diet will bring you in to their office more often. Why recommend something that's going to keep you not coming in? Now obviously not all vets are that way but as you can see... it's not always to their benefit for them to keep up to date on certain areas of research such as proper diets.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
If it's a food based allergy the two top allergens I've heard of are corn and wheat as they are used as fillers
Wheat and corn are not fillers in kibble type dog food they serve two purposes one is nutrional value and the other is search that is required to form kibble in the first place, without starch dry dog food is not possible. Grain free dogs food require the same amount of search they just happen to use a non grain source for that starch like potatoes or tapioka. Thing is they are actual less nutrious than eather corn or wheat. see What Are The Most Healthy Grains, Legumes And Starches?

Corn and wheat are not the top two allergins in dogs. The problem people make with food allergies is associating the food with the allergy. A dog prone to a food allergy will become allergic to the protein source it is most exposed to. The are also like to become allergic to more and more protein sources as they age and are exposed in increasing amounts to the once the get older so many find the novel protein diet that worked a year ago no longer does.

Now hypoallergenic proteins have been made by a couple of dog food manufactures in which they claim will never produce an allergic reaction. But they only make canned or kibble not treats. So it is quite simply any dog treat containing a protein source is not Hypoallergenic it is capable of cause an allergic reaction in some dogs. So the only hypoallergenic treats are either the dogs kibble that is not reacting or a treat that does not contain protein. One may find a treat that contains a novel protein sources that the dog will not intially react to but there is no guarantee that the dog will not become allergic at a later date

Food Allergies and Food Intolerance
Several studies have shown that some ingredients are more likely to cause food allergies than others. In order of the most common offenders in dogs are beef, dairy products, chicken, lamb, fish, chicken eggs, corn, wheat, and soy. As you may have noticed, the most common offenders are the most common ingredients in dog foods. This correlation is not a coincidence. While some proteins might be slightly more antigenic than others, many proteins are similar in form and the incidence of allergic reactions are probably associated with the amount of exposure
Food Allergy in Dogs
A change in diet is not necessary for development of food allergy. About 70 percent of affected pets develop allergies! to food ingredients that they have been fed for a long time, usually more than two years. In fact, if your dog has an immediate adverse reaction to a new food, it is probably not an allergic reaction, because it takes more than one exposure to produce an allergic reaction.

Food ingredients most commonly responsible for allergies are beef, chicken, fish, eggs and milk. The tendency to develop allergies is genetically determined. Dogs with other allergies like inhalant allergies or atopy may be at increased risk for developing a food allergy

...New food allergies can develop over time. If your dog was diagnosed previously with food allergy and has been well controlled with a special diet but once again is showing signs of allergic skin disease, he may have developed a new allergy. Under these circumstances, consult your veterinarian to determine whether a new allergy has developed or whether another disease is present.

... genetic predisposition seems to exist for food allergy. Based on their genetic constitution, some animals seem to be predisposed to development of food allergy. However, since the cause of food allergy is unknown, the disorder cannot be prevented.

...The foods most commonly incriminated as allergens in dogs are beef, dairy products and wheat and account for 66 percent of suspected cases of food allergy. Chicken, lamb, soy, eggs, pork, and preservatives account for only 22 percent of reported cases according to a recent survey of veterinarians in North America.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Wheat and corn are not fillers in kibble type dog food they serve two purposes one is nutrional value and the other is search that is required to form kibble in the first place, without starch dry dog food is not possible. Grain free dogs food require the same amount of search they just happen to use a non grain source for that starch like potatoes or tapioka. Thing is they are actual less nutrious than eather corn or wheat. see What Are The Most Healthy Grains, Legumes And Starches?

Corn and wheat are not the top two allergins in dogs. The problem people make with food allergies is associating the food with the allergy. A dog prone to a food allergy will become allergic to the protein source it is most exposed to. The are also like to become allergic to more and more protein sources as they age and are exposed in increasing amounts to the once the get older so many find the novel protein diet that worked a year ago no longer does.

Now hypoallergenic proteins have been made by a couple of dog food manufactures in which they claim will never produce an allergic reaction. But they only make canned or kibble not treats. So it is quite simply any dog treat containing a protein source is not Hypoallergenic it is capable of cause an allergic reaction in some dogs. So the only hypoallergenic treats are either the dogs kibble that is not reacting or a treat that does not contain protein. One may find a treat that contains a novel protein sources that the dog will not intially react to but there is no guarantee that the dog will not become allergic at a later date

Food Allergies and Food Intolerance

Food Allergy in Dogs
Actually our food uses white and brown rice as their search. Interesting that I don't see that listed on Wysong's page cause I would be interested in seeing what they have to say about it as a source as I feel they are a very good food even if they do use Corn.

I stand corrected by saying Corn and Wheat are the top two allergens however they are on the list according to your quote.

"Several studies have shown that some ingredients are more likely to cause food allergies than others. In order of the most common offenders in dogs are beef, dairy products, chicken, lamb, fish, chicken eggs, corn, wheat, and soy. As you may have noticed, the most common offenders are the most common ingredients in dog foods. This correlation is not a coincidence. While some proteins might be slightly more antigenic than others, many proteins are similar in form and the incidence of allergic reactions are probably associated with the amount of exposure"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay well I think im starting to get Gracies itching under control with this new food she is on and supplements from the vet but im trying to find receipes for hypoallergenic treats. I feel bad that all the store brands can make her itch so i wanted to make something at home. Anyone have any recepies for me?? Its been hard finding them online. Thanks!! :D

Pensfan
I also think so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts