Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! My lovely Lola is extremely high strung! If I didn't know better, I'd think she was ADHD. Don't misunderstand, she's very playful and we have a great time but it never seems to turn off.....even in the middle of the night (up at 1:30am and 4am every night)! Always running around with a ball in her mouth, pawing at the wall or us, or licking her ShepCollie sisiter's ears!
I grew up with a Bassett and she was energetic but NOTHING like Lola! She's 1 and a half (still just a puppy)....showing no signs of slowing down....sound familiar to anyone else?

A

·
0 Posts
I know that when Molly gets like that it is because she has not gotten her walks due to weather or whatnot. She seems to need a LONG walk every day. For example this week I have been sick enough that I have not been able to take the dogs on their walks--by last night Molly was TEARING thru the house.
Don't know if this helps....
Jennifer

A

·
0 Posts
when weather is to bad 4 a walk. He runs around grabbing and chewing anything he can get his mouth on or in. Pray 4 spring!! :) Happy to be a slave 4 Tummy Boy.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Sounds very familiar. I had to increase Lily's walks because I would take her for a nice long one and she would come back and still be pouncing on her sisters. But I have the same problem if the weather is just too nasty to go out. but I won't let a little rain stop me. Getting a little wet is worth the peace and quiet the rest of the night.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The good thing is I live in Florida....it's ALWAYS nice! She runs around with us and Bailey from 7am-8:30am, for about 20 minutes in the afternoon (close enough to go home for lunch), and from 6:30 till about 10pm. We play ball in the yard, in the house, chase the birds and squirrels, and the big sister! I've never seen a faster Bassett in my life.....drool splattered everywhere!!!!!!!! Too cute

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I take Hap out running in the woods. It seems to cure what ails him. If he had me up at night, I'd shut the door on his crate.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mine are very active. I rarely take them for walks, the run and play in the back yard all day. Thankfully, they sleep all night. They get up and go do their "business" in the morning, and come right back to bed.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
3 years ago, someone in this forum told me that bassets should stay "active" until they are about 3-4 years old then it will slow down gradually.

I don't think so!!! 3 years later, Winston is about 6 years now....he is still crazy! Amazingly I enjoy it. :D

We only took our bassets for a walk/trip on the weekend and play with them at home every night. Winston and Henrietta fall asleep around 7 pm every night. I guess it's not too bad.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yep, I recommend tiring her out, too! If you can hold out longer than she can, LOL! Daisy Jayne does a lot better at night if she's outside all day, playing with our other dog, or playing with the kids. A long walk in the evening does wonders, too. :D

One thing I learned is DO NOT turn on the lights if you get up with her at night--just like a human baby, they take that as a cue that it's OK to wake up and play. Fortunately for me, Daisy learned early when I say "it's time for night-night", it's time to give up and go to sleep.

Good luck!

[ March 16, 2006, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: BarbR ]

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
There's a lot of truth to the saying: "A tired basset is a good basset". Wear her out as much as you can before bedtime and she'll sleep a lot longer. I'm thrilled that the daylight is lasting longer because they can play outside til dark and tire themselves out.

M

·
0 Posts
Rusty & Stickers just turned one year old and are very active. Stickers will run & play for hours. That's why she is so thin (shaped like a tube)!! She eats but her metabalism is so fast! They both play all day. Then at night they finally pass out!! They are not TOO active though. Maggie Mae on the other hand was never this active. I guess all hound's are different. They also spent the first year with 7 other Bassets so they are use to playing alot. Getting 2 hounds is great because they have each other to play with. It takes the pressure of me to constantly keep them entertained. Believe me, before you know she will slow down. Enjoy it while you can because someday she may what to become a couch potato!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel SO much better! maybe Lola and Flash are related! I thought maybe she was a jack russell in bassett clothing!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I always said if there was such a thing as canine ADHD, Spencer's picture would be next to the definition. ;) He will be 10 years old in June, & is still as active as when he was a pup. The bad thing, is his body IS aging & he has arthritis. Sometimes even he overdoes it & is sore the next day. The good thing, is he keeps me active. He gets a walk just about everyday. The weather has to be pretty bad to keep us in, because if he doesn't get his walk, we all pay for it at night!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
My Moe started to slow down a little by three years old and finally became what I always thought a Basset would be by five years old (a couch potato, asleep more than he was awake). Before age three he was a wild, insane bundle of energy. :) We used to do that for Moe every single night for a year or more and it worked like a charm. After his walk he would settle down on whatever his favorite bed was at the time (loveseat, lazyboy, or dogbed) and he was out for the night. As an added bonus, I slept better due to the exercise, too. :)

Good luck!

Terry

A

·
0 Posts
Toby was pretty crazy until he was about 12!!!
I try to walk Simon alot I also take him in the car to do errands with me and anything i can think of, so he isn't bored

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah.....sound sleep for the last two nights! One wake up call in the middle of the night but then right back to bed. of course, the weekends are easier for us to keep her running around all day! New meaning for TGIF!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts