Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a 8 month old basset hound daisy who is just absolutely nuts! She’s so active and skinny and bitey! I had basset hounds growing up and I’m wondering if I just don’t remember them at the puppy stage and acting like this or if they actually were always just lazy dogs like I remember them to have been. Im a little concerned that I may have gotten the only hyper active basset hound though lol I specifically got a basset bc I wanted a lazy dog and I haven’t given up hope that she’ll grow into that but I’d like to know What age other people’s basset calmed down.
Plant Dog breed Goat Grass Fawn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love it! It’s so great seeing basset hounds doing more than sleeping lol After looking on here I realized it’s a common question about energetic puppies lol I guess my dogs I had as a child were just older and plus I probably had a lot more energy back then so I’m sure they just seemed lazy. She spent 5 weeks at a top of the line training facility (several grand wasted) and they said They could only do about 4 minutes at a time with her before she just gave out and that she was the hardest dog they’ve gotten 😶 i feel like thats a little bs bc she’s NON STOP at my house for basically the entire day lol I’m glad to have her back but wish I would have just done some internet searches and little research before I wasted money and a month of guilt over sending her away just to “train” the puppy and basset hound out of her 🤣

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
typical age for adult onset behavior vs puppy is 2 to 3 yr but some are always puppies! Harriet is one of those and more likely in

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
They could only do about 4 minutes at a time with her before she just gave out and that she was the hardest dog they’ve gotten
that is because they do not know how to train hound. Sounds like typical old school training methofd . Bassets are "soft" extremely soft the do not respond we to punishment in training. under stress the shut down completely. they do nothing so they don't make a mistake and get punished,. that is most likely what was happening,

see Hard to Train? – Suzanne Clothier/Carpe Canem Inc.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
High in trial at two seperate BHCA nationals 2000, 2018 with two different dogs, and owner/trainer of Best Basset agility dog ever. though I am sure others will disagree. Only basser ever to be ranked top 10 in agility for a particular jump height in all breed commpetition. 2005 USDAA Performance Snooker Highest ranked Basset ever In USDAA which has the hardest physical requirements in term of course times and jump heights, A-frame heights etc.

Mariah best there ever was

eowyn

toughynutter

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
you can start agility training with her if interested . classes that specilize in puppies and ground work. No jumping. aframes weavepolls etc till growth plates close at around 18 months of age.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you can start agility training with her if interested . classes that specilize in puppies and ground work. No jumping. aframes weavepolls etc till growth plates close at around 18 months of age.
Thats so cool!!! Yeah I’ve been looking for scent Or I guess that’s ground training classes and now I’m definitely going to start trying to find agility training for her and my son to do together. Thanks so much for the info I love imagining Daisy doing a completion and getting a blue ribbon 😂

·
Registered
13,095 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. Mine is pretty active too, he is 10 months old and he is not lazy at all. He is not the type of dogs that runs a lot but he is always active, always looking for something to do. Maybe it is because of the age, but I think I will try to get used to.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hello! I have a 8 month old basset hound daisy who is just absolutely nuts! She’s so active and skinny and bitey! I had basset hounds growing up and I’m wondering if I just don’t remember them at the puppy stage and acting like this or if they actually were always just lazy dogs like I remember them to have been. Im a little concerned that I may have gotten the only hyper active basset hound though lol I specifically got a basset bc I wanted a lazy dog and I haven’t given up hope that she’ll grow into that but I’d like to know What age other people’s basset calmed down. View attachment 29154
OMG she looks just like our third rescue basset, Izzy, now passed. We got her at barely a year, 30 pounds, and walked her three times a day just to get her exercised. She actually jumped into the back of our SUV (unheard of with those little legs). As time went on she morphed into a couch potato with our help I am sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts