Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's best to start doing hygiene things with your dog at an early age. Walter is 10 weeks and I clean his ears and bathe him once a week. He does ok with cleaning the outside of his ears but, once I start to put the liquid in the canal, he freaks. In the bathing process, he likes the tub but not so much the water. Of course we talk sweetly to him the whole time, give him treats and I even sit in the tub with him, but both these processes are a struggle. Is he just still too young to fully understand what is going on or is there any advice on how it can go smoother?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't bathe mine regularly, unless they get into something particularly stinky or dirty.

Bassets, like most hounds, have a natural oil to their coats which helps resist dirt and keeps the skin from drying out. Regular washing strips the coat of these oils and may cause drying, flaking of the skin or dandruff.

Excessive oil or odor may be a reason for more frequent baths, but regular bathing shouldn't be done.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Why are you washing your hound so frequently?
Veterinary ear cleaners can & most do, sting, & drying, ears depending how much wax they generate should be cleaned when required & not once a week. Easily done with a cotton pad & cooled boiled water, I don't use cleaners, If they need a deeper clean use a pipet with olive oil.
Dogs can be kept clean by regular grooming (brushing).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I should have been more clear. I don't use soap every time we bathe him. I just want him to get used to the process and the water. As for his ear, they get a lot of gunk on the outside that I wipe off. I didn't know cleaners were that bad. I had read many sites and used their recommendations, but I will try just the water. Again, ant advice on how to make these processes smoother? Or is he just still too young to be calm during them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Veterinary ear cleaners can & most do, sting, & drying, ears depending how much wax they generate
If you could, my boyfriend is a chemist. Do you happen to know the ingredients that are harmful? We have been talking about just making our own stuff since he knows how to do it. You said olive oil works good? I know when my semester starts he will spend the first week or two with our parents while we get settled in and they have big yards with lots of shrubbery. I don't want it to be a hassle to clean him if necessary.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
You are bathing way too often. Frequent bathing like this will dry out the skin and coat and lead to problems. A good daily brush shold be quite enough normally and if as happens on occasions, he gets overly stinky, then you do a bath.

Secondly NEVER EVER put water down the ear canal. Small wonder he hates that!! Putting moisture down the ears will only make a nice breeding ground for bacteria, to say nothing of making him shake his head loads to get rid of the water down there - potentially causing a haematoma.

Puppies do make a lot of wax but what you should be using is a patent ear cleaner - either from your vet, or online, gently wiping as far into the ear as you can reasonably get. Again NEVER put water in there and oil may not be a great idea either. We use Leo which is now called Epiotic made by Virbac (UK). And we always had a weekly schedule for ears and nails.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Again, I don't use soap every time. He plays in sand and mud when we go to the park so rinsing him off is a must. I just wan't him to get used to the process and start to like water as our family does vacations around bodies of water.

I never put water down his ears. I use a cleaner that is recommended and with minimal ingredients that my boyfriend likes. My boyfriend kinda freaked at the oil idea too glad to know he's not crazy lol. So weekly ear cleaning isn't too much? that's good to know because he sure does need it. FRANKSMUM did your dogs ever calm down and get used to it?

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
(quote)He plays in sand and mud when we go to the park so rinsing him off is a must (/quote)
Actual I find letting them dry and brushing superior to rewetting ie rinsing for mud

there are many that will tell you frequent bathing is bad. Quite frankly it is b.s. Frequent bathing with harsh shampoo and/or poor rinsing is bad but not frequent bathing per say. Many basset skin problems like seborrhea require frequent bathing multiple times a week to control.It can be done without cause addition skin problem. During Show Season or Allergy season our can get bathed every week or even more frequently and if anything skin and coat improve. It comes down to using quality and appropriate product and rinsing well. The Rule of thumb is to rinse twice as long as it take for the rinse water to run clear ie no discernible soap/suds residue.

I start to put the liquid in the canal, he freaks.
define freaks? Is it any different than you would react if someone drop and ice cube down the back of your pants? That what putting Ear clear in the ear feels like to a dog.

warm the ear cleaner to body temperature like you would a baby's bottle. Cold ear cleaner in not comfortable

link provided good instructions
Dog Ear Cleaning ? Banfield Pet Hospital®

1 prefer cotton pads to balls.

2. Witch hazel is a non- irritating drying agent.

3. Rubbing alcohol is a drying agent and antimicrobial but can be irratating to sensitive ears especial if there is an active infection.

4. Vinegar (distilled white) is antimicrobial

Most homemade ear clear recipes include 1 or all of these ingredients mixed together or diluted 50/50 with water.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
. In the bathing process, he likes the tub but not so much the water.

Most basset do not like getting wet.You can try counter conditioning all you like but they will never likely it . What you can get is Tolerance and frankly that is all you need. Working at time for and at my Wife's Grooming business has taught me >95% of all dogs dislike getting there face sprayed with water. This includes water retriever etc I think you may have grandiose expectations for what is achievable

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most basset do not like getting wet.You can try counter conditioning all you like but they will never likely it .
Well that is something I didn't know. Thanks. Guess we will have to see about taking him out on the boats then.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Your boyfriend may freak out at the idea of Olive Oil, but it's caused no problems over the years & comes recommended by those whose knowledge & experience I trust.
Tried many veterinary ear cleansers & could clear a room of Bassets by walking in with a bottle, even years on having stopped was shown a bottle at a friends house & our now departed hound disappeared out through the door. Our surviving hound has Auto immune which sadly effects ears (dry, hot, itchy) & any wax has him rubbing & shaking his head. When a deeper clean is required, olive oil causes no stress & softens any wax for easy cleaning with a pad.
Think as with most things it's what the dog is happy with, & what works, I'm not going to stress him or any other dog, causing more discomfort using expensive ear cleaners, each to their own.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Your boyfriend may freak out at the idea of Olive Oil, but it's caused no problems over the years & comes recommended by those whose knowledge & experience I trust.
That's great you have found something your dogs like and prefer. I hope to do the same one step at a time. Thank you for your advice. I know home remedies are always a great alternative when the otherwise "proven" methods don't work. As a nursing major, I know the importance of oil in the not so lovely topic of enemas and how it works the same way.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
http://www.basset.net/boards/introduce-yourself-here/39049-bassetts-like-water.html

http://www.basset.net/boards/general-basset-hound-discussion/36785-swimming.html
FWIW Soundtrack=my wife
Melody at hydrotherapy with a inflatable donut for flotation support. A life Jacket inhibited proper movement of her rear legs.
Not so much the rear legs, but it seemed to unbalance her, maybe because the legs are so short? She has an easier time staying upright without it. It took her a few times to get used to the neck floater, her head stays above water more easily now than at the beginning. But this experience has made me think that it's not enough to put a flotation device on the dog for protection, they need to practice using it.

FWIW, her mother Gabby and her grandfather Spot loved to swim. Mel, not so much.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I have actually used olive and other oil-based ear cleaners, they worked quite well. One remedy for ear infections that I have used successfully is garlic oil.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is best to get an appropriate sized wearable flotation device for them.

Yes, we are ordering him one. Whether he ends up liking the water or not, we still visit large bodies of water often and he will need one if he ever goes out on the boat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most basset do not like getting wet. You can try counter conditioning all you like but they will never likely it . What you can get is Tolerance and frankly that is all you need. Working at time for and at my Wife's Grooming business has taught me >95% of all dogs dislike getting there face sprayed with water. This includes water retriever etc I think you may have grandiose expectations for what is achievable
My 8 month old pup can't stay out of the sprinkler or puddle. She also loves to dig in mud. If the sprinkler is on and she's outside, I know she'll be coming in soaking wet. Our 7 year old was the same way as a puppy, but avoided it as she got older.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
That's great you have found something your dogs like and prefer. I hope to do the same one step at a time. Thank you for your advice. I know home remedies are always a great alternative when the otherwise "proven" methods don't work. As a nursing major, I know the importance of oil in the not so lovely topic of enemas and how it works the same way.
Must be having a bad day but, what's the relevance of being a 'Nursing Major' & your boy friend a 'chemist ', to do with the post other than the implication that you know better, find the suggestion that using olive oil to lubricate the intestines to using small amounts for softening ear wax tenuous. IMO common sense is intuitive not learnt.
Didn't say the ingredients were are harmful just uncomfortable, 'sting & drying' & not something I'd be wanting to subject such a young pup to unnesessarilly. Puppies are hard work, time consuming (or should be) including keeping them clean if left unsupervised in large back yards .

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Frequent bathing isn't necessary, and it's NOT bs to suggest so. Of course a frequent wetting down, not using a shampoo would be okay - just as we have going on here in the UK with frequent RAIN (especially this year). My hounds have never had a problem with that as long as they are properly dried after coming in. And if your hound gets muddy etc. of course he'll need washing off.

Not all Bassets hate water We had three that we ran on from an excellent litter, who'd regularly swim in our 'lake' (1 acre pond). The others would stand on the bank looking on in amazement. And it wasn't 'normal'! And we had another who loved us getting the hose out. She'd chase the end of the stream of water endlessly until she finally 'grew up' and realised she was on a hiding to nothing really. Great game.

If you are asking whether they ever get used to having their ears treat, cleaned, some do, many don't. My current lad runs for his pad when I get the bottle out but he 'tolerates' being treated even if he doesn't exactly cooperate :p

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Frequent bathing isn't necessary, and it's NOT bs to suggest so.
big difference between being necessary vs harmful. However there are certain skin condition where it is necessary frequently bath to keep under control. Frequent bathing if done properly is not a problem ever. Improper bathing if even done infrequently is a problem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts