Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We found a new use for hydrogen peroxide tonight. I had trimmed about 1/2 of a hosta back to the ground because it was blocking one of the sprinklers at the back brick wall. We let Bogie out after supper and when he didn't come right back I went to find him. He was lying on the ground eating the hosta stalks and leaves where I had trimmed it. I ran in and quiickly brought it up on the internet and it said they could be toxic to dogs.
We quickly called the Vet and he told us to give him a couple of tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, wait 5 minutes and repeat if needed, and it would make him throw up. Boy does it ever work. :confused: Poor Bogie heaved and heaved and lots of chewed hosta stalk and leaf pieces came up along with his supper he had just eaten.:confused:
So Mr. Bogart is back to the muzzle unless we are with him. He has never bothered them before. I'm guessing the cut stalks oozed and maybe it was tasty to him. Who knows!! One thing is for sure, no dull days with Bogie around!!! Moral of the story: keep hydrogen peroxide on hand in case you ever have the need to have to purge your dog.

·
Registered
878 Posts
That stuff sounds quite drastic!!! :eek: Is that the same stuff used to bleach hair? Does it not burn their throat? What strength of Hydrogen Peroxide is this... not that I have any in the house? Glad Bogie's OK though! I thought an animal's instinct told them what's safe to eat but I do know how 'dopey' many of our Bassets are.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hydrogen peroxide strength is 3%. On the bottle it says: topical solution USP and is a first aid antiseptic and oral debriding agent used for gargle or rinse. Also for treatment of minor cuts and abrasions. We had the Walgreens brand. Worked great and quickly. Bogie is fine this morning.:)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yes, I used this on Lightning once. It worked like a charm. I thought he'd eaten something harmful, but turned out he'd just been eating dog poop. So then he threw up dog poop in my house. But it's always good to have around the house in case of emergencies (hydrogen peroxide, not dog poop vomit). It also is part of the recipe for a concoction that removes skunk smell from dogs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts