Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted my dog Gibbs from a shelter the weekend after Thanksgiving. When we first got him we had some feelings that he may have been a hunting dog in his previous home. He was very eager to jump into the front seat of my fiance's pick up truck, knew nothing about playing only wants to sniff and howl at things, etc. Over the weekend I was dog knapped by my neighbors (they frequently "borrow" Lily to play with their puppy Sammy-a beagle). I went outside immediately because I wasn't sure how Gibbs would behave and I was dissappointed. He kept running their dog Sammy into corners, standing over top of her and howling. We had to pull him off of her 3 times. I really want them all to be friends, but I feel like he just treats her as if she were a rabbit for him to hunt. We said we would try again when Sammy gets bigger, but does anyone have any suggestions of how I could get him to behave better around smaller dogs?

Thanks,

~Heather

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't know too much about hunting dogs, the only thing José hunts for is crumbs when my husband gets up from the couch. But it seems that maybe the behavior around the puppy could be a sign of what kind of socialization Gibbs received in relation to other animals?

José is so gentle and was socialized to love kids, dogs, mailmen, everyone. On a leash on walks he is the talk of the neighborhood, what a nice gentle dog, so well behaved. But unleash him with another dog & he chases and jumps and humps too! He is quite an embarrassment. I guess I didn't have him free roaming with other dogs enough at first. My brothers in laws have a rottweiler, an American Bulldog & a boxer... José loves them all but I don't let him run around with them because I'm afraid he will provoke these otherwise kind dogs into biting him.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Basset I finally had to give up (Homer) was a hunting dog in another life. The problem was that he thought my cats were his prey and made their lives miserable. I kept him for 2 plus years and it wasn't until I had to give him up that I realized how difficult having him had been for my other animals - particularly my cats. Little by little they started coming out and sitting on the couch and asking for attention. They were terrified to enter the living room when Homer was there. I always thought he would change some day, but it just didn't happen. :(

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean it isn't a huge problem because he gets along fantastically with his sister Lily. It really took me by suprise because he is so tolerant of Lily. She is constantly pestering him and he VERY RARELY growls or anything. Gibbs has excellent house manners and is extremely well behaved and even good with babies-he just has this one hang up. I don't think it will be an issue, but I wish he could play with Sammy next door.

~Heather

1 - 4 of 4 Posts