Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pheasant hunting in NH. 6 hounds - 3 guns - 14 birds over 2 days. Not bad, and just for fun we went across the road and ran snowshoe hare.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Nice job! What role do the hounds play? Do they flush the birds, retrieve them, or...???

I've helped my friend some training her hunting cockers, and my role mainly involves tossing dead birds high in the air. ;) The dogs then look for the birds, under her direction, and retrieve them.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bassets track the birds until they fly. Bassets don't point, but stay so close that the birds are in range. Marty's hounds will tear up a pheasant, but my Y. Lee Coyote will actually retrieve. We had to hustle to get the birds away from the other hounds.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
This reminds me of what's probably a stupid question, but it's been on my mind for a while now. When a basset is trailing game like rabbit, does a hunter ever accidentally shoot the hound, instead of the rabbit?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it does happen. One friend took a buddy hunting- he hd never hunted with a dog before and shot the hound--- emergency surgery- removed a section of bowel, but Judd survived. He had quite afew pellets in him, but the vet felt they would not be a real problem.

A

·
0 Posts
I just want you to notice who's dogs are jumping all over him to get the most attention possible. Dean's dogs are not shy. Before this picture was taken I'm sure they were jumping all over John and Marty too. How much snow did you get Dean? We have almost a foot. Hope it's cleaned up by Wed.........Belinda.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's just my magnetic personality, but nobody has ever called Y. Lee bashful. We got about 10", but we are moving about with no real problems. Florida is going to be quite a change, temperature in the 70's. I'm ready to hit the road.

·
Registered
239 Posts
How was the Mass. hunt the Sunday after Thanksgiving? Nice photo!

Have a safe trip to Fla! :D
Stuck in snowy NJ

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The large pack fun hunt on hare was great. about 30-40 hounds came out to play-- not too many running hounds. Critter won, Y. Lee 2nd, and Dot 3rd. Not bad! Any one in the area(Dartmouth, MA)ought to bring their basset. Fully fenced, no hounds get lost. Some hounds took off at a flat-out run, but after awhile they came back. These dogs are superbly equiopped to find us, but no waycan we go out there and find them, but some people get nervous.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gosh you guys are so lucky to be able to run your hounds like that. I live in Trinidad in the Caribbean, where you are likely to come across a whole host of poisonous plants/animals, too much of a risk to risk my guys and gals, even though they would probably love it!!!

Debra

1 - 11 of 11 Posts