Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The BHCA Nationals are a one day's drive from my house, so we'll be there for at least part of the show--I'm planning to show Pearl in Open. I noticed that there are Hunt Tests at the show on Saturday. I have a feeling this is a really dumb question, but does a dog have to be trained to be entered in a Hunt Test? Or is the behavior so instinctual that they'll just jump in, or run off, or chase bunny, or whatever?
Thanks!
Sharon Hall

·
Registered
797 Posts
Most bassets still have some hunting instinct, but training may be needed to bring it out. Running with an experienced hound, a starting pen, or a rabbit in a roll cage all help get a new hound started. There are no requirements for entering a hunt test, except AKC registration.If you check with BHCA, there maybe somebody in your area with hunting bassets, or try to find a beagle club, many of them are willing to help.

A

·
0 Posts
Hi Sharon! Even if your basset has no experience hunting rabbits you should try to enter the Hunt test at Nationals. First, they need all the support they can get, and second, you'll have fun, learn alot and if you're lucky, you might even pass! Just let everyone know you're a complete novice and are there to learn. If there is anywhere you know that is safe (ie: not near traffic) and has rabbits you can "practise". If you see a rabbit and your dog doesn't, take it to the spot you last saw the rabbit, point to the ground and say "get the bunny", "hunt 'em up" or whatever. I would't say "find" if you are tracking or utility training. I wish I could be there this year but it doesn't look as if I am. If there are any field trialers in your area perhaps they could help you. Good luck and have fun! Belinda.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts