Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I have noticed lately that our Casey Chase'em has this little hump on her lower back. I've felt it and it's not the spine itself. I've heard the expression "roach back" and am wondering if this how it starts? We have an appointment with the vet on Saturday to do X-Rays, but thought I'd ask the experts first. :p

She is walking and running just fine. We just hate to see that hump there.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
I've felt it and it's not the spine itself. I've heard the expression "roach back" and am wondering if this how it starts? We have an appointment with the vet on Saturday to do X-Rays, but thought I'd ask the experts first. :p

She is walking and running just fine. We just hate to see that hump there.

Any thoughts would be welcome.[/b]
Raoch back is the sphine itself It is an upward curvature of the spine vs a flat top line. Keep in mind no dogs topline is perfectly straight so a roached back is more curvature than is acceptable.

The causes a roached back can be genetic, congentital or from trauma or a desease process. There are times when a normally healthy dog will have a roached back for a prolanged period. Gastrointestial upset or other pain in the gut can cause the dog to thigten the abdominal muscle which in the end cause the back to arch

A hump on the back that is not the spine need to be examined by a vet, Well even if it is the spine an exam is warranted. It is idol speculation as to the cause but large fatty tumors called lipomas are not unheard of in this area. The pose no harm to the dog and are generally only removed when because of their size, location or both they becom an impedement to the dog.

Lumps and Bumps: Lipomas (fatty tumors)

illustration of Roach back from mirriam websters online dictionary

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Raoch back is the sphine itself It is an upward curvature of the spine vs a flat top line. Keep in mind no dogs topline is perfectly straight so a roached back is more curvature than is acceptable.

The causes a roached back can be genetic, congentital or from trauma or a desease process. There are times when a normally healthy dog will have a roached back for a prolanged period. Gastrointestial upset or other pain in the gut can cause the dog to thigten the abdominal muscle which in the end cause the back to arch

A hump on the back that is not the spine need to be examined by a vet, Well even if it is the spine an exam is warranted. It is idol speculation as to the cause but large fatty tumors called lipomas are not unheard of in this area. The pose no harm to the dog and are generally only removed when because of their size, location or both they becom an impedement to the dog.

Lumps and Bumps: Lipomas (fatty tumors)

illustration of Roach back from mirriam websters online dictionary
[/b]

Perfect! Thank you, Mikey! You are always so very helpful. We have an appointment on Saturday with our vet so we'll let you all know what happened. Hopefully, it's nothing. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hope there is nothing serious going on with your girl. Do let us know how she makes out at the vet.[/b]
Thanks much, Yogi's Mom. Appreciate the good thoughts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks much, Yogi's Mom. Appreciate the good thoughts.[/b]
Well, the vet examined Casey's hump on Saturday and determined that it was just a lipoma (a benign fatty tumor). He advised us to keep an eye on it and go back to him if it changes shape, gets larger or becomes bumpy in texture.

Whew!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great news! :D[/b]
Yes, we were finally able to exhale after holding our breaths all week long! Thank you. :)

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Well, the vet examined Casey's hump on Saturday and determined that it was just a lipoma (a benign fatty tumor). He advised us to keep an eye on it and go back to him if it changes shape, gets larger or becomes bumpy in texture.[/b]
It is idol speculation as to the cause but large fatty tumors called lipomas are not unheard of in this area.[/b]

Just goes to show if you guess at a diagnose often enough even a idiot will get luckly some times :rolleyes: all the more reason to rely on a vet for a diagnose and not the internet

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just goes to show if you guess at a diagnose often enough even a idiot will get luckly some times :rolleyes: all the more reason to rely on a vet for a diagnose and not the internet[/b]
Haha!! You hit the tumor right on the head, Mikey! You feeling lucky guessing up some lottery numbers for me?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts