Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put up a post on the other forum about dog's suddenly starting to hump Toby. It is getting steadily worse and I can no longer let him off the lead in the park.

Maybe a long shot but....Acouple of weeks ago I got a D.A.P. plug-in diffuser from the vet.(I wrote about it in the 'itching basset behind'post) This trouble started a couple of days after. Although been assured by the vet that this product has been thoroughly tested and this side effect never noted,and advised me to continue using it.I am still not convinced.

Don't have this problem with my westie,just the basset.Know someone who used it with no problems on their Lab. My question is...Do you think that Toby for some reason could be attracting other male dogs because of this device even though other dogs don't have this problem? Seriously thinking of unplugging it.

Edited to add that the reason the vet gave me the D.A.P. is because my westie goes in for treatment next week and she is an extremely nervous dog.

[ January 07, 2006, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Sadeyes ]

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
When I googled this product, the explanation for it's effectiveness is that:
"it mimics the properties of the natural pheromones of the lactating female."
It might be a coincidence that dogs are attraced to him since he's been exposed to this, but from the description of the product, maybe not- wonder what your vet would think-

T

·
0 Posts
Sadeyes, I would do my own little experiment, unplug it for a bit, and see if the behavior goes away. That would be enough to tell me the pheromones were the cause. It makes perfect sense to me that they might, indeed, be the cause. Poor Toby. Its worth a try, I think.

Janet 'n Twink

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Murraysmom & Janet for the replies. Think I will unplug it and give Toby a bath. Bubbad said on another thread that it could be hormonal and that's what made me think of this device. Will let you know the outcome.

A

·
0 Posts
Pheremones were added to human perfumes and aftershaves a few years ago to attract the opposite sex. I would bet that is the problem. Too coincidental. GOod Luck and I will be interested to see the outcome. yvonne

1 - 5 of 5 Posts