Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok - my dog is defective :wink:
He has that pano arthritis thing I have read about on here only thank goodness rarely has pain, more often than not just runs around on his three good legs - it's soooo funny. Does anyone have any info on scholeosis in bassets? Niles has a big humpback - very noticable - the vet said she thinks that's what it is?! He is also WAY too skinny and a very picky eater (and no he doesn't have worms or any other parasite - I had that checked) you can see every rib.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
A roached back if a fairly common fault in many pet quality bassets. Some more noticeable than others but never hear of any particular increase in health or orthopeadic problems because of it.

is also WAY too skinny and a very picky eater (and no he doesn't have worms or any other parasite - I had that checked) you can see every rib.
Well how bout an an analogy, without a shirt on you can clearly see every one of my ribs and I couls clearly stand to loose a few lbs. If you could not see the dogs ribs it would be a clear sign the dog is overweight. The ribs should be visiable but not promenently so. for more on asssessing a dogs weigh- see links to different methodologies below. Keep in mind however that most owner tend to underevaluate a dogs weight. APurina® Study
found that most owners couldn't accurately assess their dogs' body conditions. When owner and expert scores were compared, only 28 percent of owners characterized their pets as above ideal body condition, while 79 percent of the experts scored those same animals to be above ideal body condition. Dr. Larson says this gap is serious because pet owners are not likely to recognize that their pets are overweight and even moderate excess body fat may lead to problems.

links

Corpulent Canines?

Body Condition

“Do I Look Fat in This?” Is Fido Overweight?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts