Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, another Basset Hound fan here, I have a 15 month old boy called Hugo, a complete nutter who drives me mad almost as much as he makes me laugh!!!!

Trying to train him at the moment for his Bronze Kennel Club award, we passed the puppy foundation with ease and with flying colours!
His sit, down, stay are all perfect but having trouble with the walking around the other dogs without him (nearly breaking my arm!) trying to get to them. He needs to walk nicely next to me which with practice I can get him to do in the park as long as there are no other dogs in sight!!!

We have so far perfected him to balance sitting on his back legs and stay there for quite some time, roll over on command, leave his food etc

The other problem I have is trying to stop him sniffing, chasing and humping my cats!!! Do any of you out there have the same problem?? He is entire as I wish to show him soon and he doesnt hump people and rarely other dogs, he is well walked every day but is very active.

We bought Hugo from Medrim in Carmarthen in Wales Uk from Ace Kennels just incase anyone else has bought from the same breeder!!!

Sue

Attachments

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Welcome! Hugo's a beauty, and apparently very smart! My boy Lightning likes to hump the cat. He's been neutered, too. The cat is amazingly patient with him.

·
Registered
284 Posts
welcome Hugo and his food slave.

He looks lovely as does the beach and sea.

My Snoopy is about the same age and can do the same comands apart from roll over - never tried to teach her that one for some reason?!?

We have the same problem with the walking around other dogs as we still havent overcome it - so if you have any good tips or results PLEASE let me know!!!

As for the humping i found a loud high pitched scream works well for us when she trys it on with my boyfriends leg!! but that has completely stopped since she was spayed in Dec.

Im sure there are lots of people on here who might be able to give you advise on showing him too. Look forward to seeing some more pictures of him.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome! Hugo's a beauty, and apparently very smart! My boy Lightning likes to hump the cat. He's been neutered, too. The cat is amazingly patient with him.[/b]
Thank you, hes smart when he chooses to be!!! Usually when being bribed with liver!!! Glad Im not the only one whos pooch likes the cats TOO MUCH!!! :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
welcome Hugo and his food slave.

He looks lovely as does the beach and sea.

My Snoopy is about the same age and can do the same comands apart from roll over - never tried to teach her that one for some reason?!?

We have the same problem with the walking around other dogs as we still havent overcome it - so if you have any good tips or results PLEASE let me know!!!

As for the humping i found a loud high pitched scream works well for us when she trys it on with my boyfriends leg!! but that has completely stopped since she was spayed in Dec.

Im sure there are lots of people on here who might be able to give you advise on showing him too. Look forward to seeing some more pictures of him.[/b]
Thanks for your answer and pleased to meet you and Snoopy who by the way is very handsome!

Im pleased to hear of other Bassets being trained as every owner I meet here says you can never train a Basset Hound which made me even more determined to train him!!!!

Hugo loved the beach soooooo much and I was sad to have to return home as I have never seen him happier racing around!!!!

We find that the high pitch scream works well too stopping the cat humping and I think Bassets are so sociable that they just love to be with other dogs hence making them behave when they are in company a nighmare!!!
I will be in touch if I have any progress but I am not convinced that I will achieve it!!!
I am praying we pass the Bronze!!!! I will endevor to put in lots of effort but probably end up bold from all the hair pulling I will do in the process!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I've found training Bassets to be no harder than training other dogs. It's getting them to do things when you want them to that has proven difficult. I "trained" Lightning to crawl on his stomach, but he would never do it for company. He's also "trained" to bite the heads off dandelions. Interestingly, Stomps imitated that and now he'll do it too. This has not, I repeat NOT, helped my dandelion situation and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome from Ruby and me (Janice).

Here's our clown:
[/b]
She is too cute, Im glad Im not the only one that dresses my hound up!!! Im sure he loves the attention and laughs though!!!!!!
When I work out how to post more photos I will put more of his fashion statements on!!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
My Snoopy is 2 and a bit, and he's in love with one of our cats. He tries to hump him whenver we have company over. We've explained that:

1 - Mittens in neutered
2 - Mittens is male
3 - Mittens is a cat

and so humping him is WRONG.

He also likes to bath the cats. And they let him. I often find my big ginger cat all soaking wet wth his fur stuck up.

Welcome to another British basset!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts