Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a basset who doesn't howl? I have had Tess for 5 years and in that time I have never heard her howl, she'll kind of sing and talk cussing you out when you've been somewhere (even just to the basement) but try as I might I have never been able to get her to howl.

I had a male basset as a kid...his name was Snooper and he would howl every time the fire siren sounded. My brother had one named Miles, and he and his wife are both music teachers and Miles would howl any time anyone played an instrument...was lovely when they were giving lessons. So I don't know what the deal is with Tess...kind of disappointing, cuz I find howling so adorable

Anyone? I'd hate to think I was the only one with a howl-less hound dawg

Sandi

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes--my Basset Person, Molly, has only howled one time and that was when the smoke detector went off. I think it a blessing to have a howling hound!
My breeder said she thought they have to have something significant to happen that triggers them to howl------one of the most wonderful things I have read here was from a member who has at least two Bassets and if I repeat this accurately --she(think) had her two at the Vet and as she was walking them towards the door to go out=one of them spied a large Murial type picture of a dog on the wall and the one that spotted it began to bark at it----that is funny but the other one looked at it and began to howl and from what was written 'really' howled!
Another member indicated he took his baby Basset to the office where he works...........apparently the Basset was just interested at observing some men on a scaffold device outside the window, possibly window cleaners, at any rate the tiny Hound held it's head up and began to howl and had the whole of the office over to see and listen to it! That is wonderful too.
My first Hound would howl upon suggestion and would hold it's head out of the car and howl at others at red lights and so on.
don

·
Registered
775 Posts
Rusty & Stickers only howl in the middle of the night :rolleyes: I have yet to figure that one out! Maggie Mae (ATB) howled all the time! She did it when she wanted attention. Almost like a tantrum! Be careful what you wish for :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bogie Carter hasn't howled yet, and he'll be three April 21st. His bark sounds like a teenager with a changing voice, which is pretty funny. He does grumble, snort, sneeze, woof, and dance for attention and does a very low growl to alert us to outside activity. Our other Basset, Bubba (ATB) had a wonderful melodious howl, and we always loved the way his mouth made a perfect "O" when he howled. We taught him to speak (bark) and howl on command. We are still hoping Bogie will howl one day.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning never howled until I got Stomps, who did howl. I can get Stomps going by singing very high and off-key (which is very easy for me). But usually Lightning will only howl late at night, and only if Stomps starts it. It's so funny to hear and to see.

For the last few days Stomps hurt his back and has been restricted to a crate :( Even though he's being an absolute trooper about the whole thing, last night he did howl a bit, with Lightning joining in. I don't know if it had anything to do with the crate, maybe that was just a coincidence. But I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
------one of the most wonderful things I have read here was from a member who has at least two Bassets and if I repeat this accurately --she(think) had her two at the Vet and as she was walking them towards the door to go out=one of them spied a large Murial type picture of a dog on the wall and the one that spotted it began to bark at it----that is funny but the other one looked at it and began to howl and from what was written 'really' howled![/b]
Those were my two, Dozer & Digger.
(from my original post in november)
"When we were leaving the vets office, Dozer started barking at a picture of a dog on the wall. :lol: Well this got Digger started too. When I finally got them to stop barking, Dozer started to howl at the picture. :lol: :lol: :lol: "

They also howl when our town's fire siren goes off. (video below)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Does anyone else have a basset who doesn't howl? I have had Tess for 5 years and in that time I have never heard her howl, she'll kind of sing and talk cussing you out when you've been somewhere (even just to the basement) but try as I might I have never been able to get her to howl.

I had a male basset as a kid...his name was Snooper and he would howl every time the fire siren sounded.
Sandi[/b]
None of the females I have had ever howled. IMHO females tend to bark more than males, but males are more likely to howl.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
My current two (females) don't howl at all. We've always had two, and it seems as if the older hound has to teach the younger do howl, or provide the releasing stimulus, or something. Our last male, Theodore, wasn't much of a howler, and he didn't pass a howl on to Pearl, the older one. I've tried to pass on the howl myself, :lol: but I just don't seem to have the knack--they pretty much ignore me...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Luke howled the first morning we put him in a crate to go to work/school. He did not howl after that until we got Dixie. The first time she howled he looked at her like "What is that?". Even now he only howls when she starts it, he gives that look as if to say, oh we are doing that again, might as well join in. Often enough, his voices cracks like a teenagers and he sounds more like a wounded dog, he has to stop himself and start over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
are they suppose to bay like a big hound when on the trail of some thing? my bazel will chase things but dose not bay or tree when the cat he is chasing bays up or climbs a tree.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts